Answered

Cant connect to my Sonos devices using either app

• 18 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

Earlier this year I followed instruction to download the new Sonos app (think its referred to as Sonos 2) and connected my 2 existing Play 1 devices. However I rarely use them but went to check them today and the app wont connect to them, in fact the “system” screen is all greyed out where it should show each Play1 device. Im getting an error message “unable to connect to Sonos” and when I try follow the “lets fix it” message I end up going around in circles. It’s as though it has an issue connected to my wifi/internet connection, and that works fine for all other devices. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

icon

Best answer by John B 18 November 2021, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the Play:1s from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router and phone.

Try unplugging the Play:1s from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router and phone.

Thank you, have tried that a few times but didnt work. Got something happening when I used a ethernet cable and connected the device to the router but they failed again once I removed…..the whole idea of these is to ne wireless :-)

Thanks

Userlevel 7

What model router are you using? If you can’t keep one speaker wired to the router with an ethernet cable, you might consider getting a Sonos Boost. But if you don’t use your Play:1s very often, it may not be worth it.

Has your router changed while the speakers have been idle? If so then they would clearly have no chance of connecting.

Either way, you need to temporarily wire a speaker and go into Settings, System, Network and make sure your network details are current before removing the wired connection. 

What model router are you using? If you can’t keep one speaker wired to the router with an ethernet cable, you might consider getting a Sonos Boost. But if you don’t use your Play:1s very often, it may not be worth it.

Its a “Sogencom” issued by my broadband provider. Trouble is I dont want to have my Play1 devices wired as I dont want them in the room where the router is….not to mention they worked perfectly fine on the Sonos1 app with no need to wire them.

Appreciate you taking the time to offer some assistance though.

Thanks

Has your router changed while the speakers have been idle? If so then they would clearly have no chance of connecting.

Either way, you need to temporarily wire a speaker and go into Settings, System, Network and make sure your network details are current before removing the wired connection. 

Hi John, forgive my ignorance but would I have to physically connect each one, one at a time to follow that process?

Thanks 

No just one. It's a system setting.

And, as John already noted, once you’ve changed that setting, you can then disconnect that ethernet cable, and have all speakers on your wifi again. 

The key will be after connecting that one speaker, waiting until all the other speakers show up in the controller app. Can be relatively immediately, or potentially as long as 5 minutes. You can speed up that process by unplugging the power from each speaker, and when they get powered back up, they should connect to the “new temporary” signal more quickly. 

Perfect, thank you all for the assistance….I seem to have solved the problem...fingers crossed it stays that way.