Cannot Play Some Tracks, Error "Not Encoded Correctly"

• 12 October 2014
  • 44 replies

I have recently started having an issue where some tracks will not play with the error "track not encoded correctly".  I have moved my Sonos Bridge away from my wireless router to see if this helps, and although response times are a lot quicker I am still unable to play some music.  I have generated a diagnostic report - 4066834.

The issue only seems to have started when I installed a new router, so it is very possible that this is causing interference due to the signal being better.  My bridge is hard-wired to the router so I have probably moved it as far as I am able.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

I have the same issue with spotify and Sonos using the mac app.

Diagnostic Report 4067625 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Jason,

Audio issues could be due to interference or wireless setting conflicts.  I am seeing the error messages you mentioned above in the diagnostic in regards to your music library located on your NAS. Are you experiencing it with a any other service as well? Have you tried multiple services and stations to see if you experience the same problems?  

Here are a few things to try to help narrow the cause of these errors:

Take a look at this link, it has possible causes and potential solutions to help with audio and interference issues. Your Sonos system is currently on channel 6, ensure that your router is set to channel 1 or 11. Please also ensure that it is not 'Auto-channeling' which means that it will periodically change channels and could cause conflict with the Sonos system. 

After you check these settings, please test the system again and grab another diagnostic and I'll be happy to take a look. 
Sorry about the delay in replying, only just got around to looking into this.  I have changed my router channel to 11 and also re-encoded and re-imported the music that will not play, but neither option has worked.  I have therefore submitted another diagnostic - 4087435.  Thanks in advance
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Sorry about the delay in replying, only just got around to looking into this.  I have changed my router channel to 11 and also re-encoded and re-imported the music that will not play, but neither option has worked.  I have therefore submitted another diagnostic - 4087435.  Thanks in advance
Hello Jason,

I'm still seeing the error messages in regards to your NAS music library. 

Since we're only experiencing issues with this device, let's try a few steps to get the music streaming properly:
- Try plugging the NAS device into one of the Sonos devices. 
- Replace the ethernet cable that goes between your NAS and the router or Sonos device. 

Please test again and then submit a diagnostic, we can take another look.
Hi Dominique, I have plugged my NAS into the back of my Sonos Bridge with a different cable and tried to play the same tracks again, and received the same error. Diagnostic 4089371 refers. FYI - the particular tracks at fault are ALAC encoded, converted from FLAC. Other music I have played is encoded in the same way, as is a lot of music I have ripped from CD into the ALAC format. I was going to try encoding to a different format - probably m4a to see if this helps. Regards, Jason
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Dominique, I have plugged my NAS into the back of my Sonos Bridge with a different cable and tried to play the same tracks again, and received the same error. Diagnostic 4089371 refers. FYI - the particular tracks at fault are ALAC encoded, converted from FLAC. Other music I have played is encoded in the same way, as is a lot of music I have ripped from CD into the ALAC format. I was going to try encoding to a different format - probably m4a to see if this helps. Regards, Jason
Thanks for the added info Jason. I would definitely recommend trying to convert the track and testing again as well.

Can you also verify that you are able to play the track on your computer(this will let us know again if there is an issue with the tracks themselves or just particular to Sonos)? 

We look forward to hearing back from you. 
Dominique,

I have confirmed that the ALAC tracks were playable on my computer, but have re-encoded them as AAC and rescanned my music library.  As a result I am now able to play all of the music through my Sonos as required.

I'll do some further investigation into the latency issues that seem to be causing the problem. but for now I would say this case can be closed.

Many thanks for all of your help - much appreciated.

Jason
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am listening to Deezer Elite via my Sonos Connect which sends music to my DAC/amp for my headphone setup.  This problem began presenting itself this evening....several songs in a row.  No change in my WiFi setup (using Uverse and transmitting WiFi via an Apple Time Capsule.  Sonos located within 10 paces of the Time Capsule.  Has been working great for months and now this problem.  What a disappointment.
I am listening to Deezer Elite via my Sonos Connect which sends music to my DAC/amp for my headphone setup.  This problem began presenting itself this evening....several songs in a row.  No change in my WiFi setup (using Uverse and transmitting WiFi via an Apple Time Capsule.  Sonos located within 10 paces of the Time Capsule.  Has been working great for months and now this problem.  What a disappointment.
I have the same problem with Deezer Elite on my Sonos system with any zone player.  Sounds like a bug somewhere.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am listening to Deezer Elite via my Sonos Connect which sends music to my DAC/amp for my headphone setup.  
It is odd since it is an intermittent problem.  I had it really bad one evening, it disappeared, and now rears its head occasionally.  Fortunately, it has been semi-stable of late.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I am listening to Deezer Elite via my Sonos Connect which sends music to my DAC/amp for my headphone setup.  
Hello HemiSam and bobmein,

I'm happy to check out your systems. Next time you experience an issue, please submit a diagnostic and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 

Please also test other services such as internet radio to see if you experience the same drops on the system. 
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks you, Dominique.  I have submitted a few of the diagnostics.  Zero issue with Beats Music when checked at the time of these errors.  Sadly, I have been having increasing problems.  They are intermittent.  I surf while I listen and the internet connection does not appear to be the problem.

I have been asked to call Customer Service when I'm near my Sonos system.  I will have to wait until the weekend.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Sounds Good and thanks for the added info. 

We look forward to hearing from you so we can get you squared away. 
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have been going back and forth with the Sonos tech department regarding the same problem for a few weeks.  Made the changes recommended....to no avail.  I had Deezer Elite working for a month without issue and then all of the sudden this problem crops up and my internet connection is fine.  I have been confident for a while it was a Deezer Elite issue.  Sonos finally wrote me today and indicated it is a Deezer Elite "system wide problem".  You're jumping through hoops unnecessarily, I'm sad to say.  

It has been an intermittent problem and sometimes it won't occur at all.  I have noticed recently that it only happens on FLAC files that are streaming from Deezer.  I bet 10 to 1 it doesn't happen on any files you play that Deezer only has in MP3 format.  

They're having server capacity issues.  Tidal is having similar problems.  We are overpaying for a hi-res music service that does not have sufficient capacity to supply its growing customer base.
The same problem with me only occurs with Deezer Elite tracks. It's very unpredictable when it occurs. I have deliberately been varying my music sources between Spotify, Rhapsody, Pandora, and my own music library, and the "not encoded correctly" error has not yet occurred with any of these. Given the expense of the Deezer Elite subscription, I think the logical fix for me is to cancel that subscription.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The same problem with me only occurs with Deezer Elite tracks. It's very unpredictable when it occurs. I have deliberately been varying my music sources between Spotify, Rhapsody, Pandora, and my own music library, and the "not encoded correctly" error has not yet occurred with any of these. Given the expense of the Deezer Elite subscription, I think the logical fix for me is to cancel that subscription.
Hard to argue with cancelling a premium service that does not work nearly as well as less expensive services.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Everyone,

Deezer on Sonos was experiencing playback issues, as well as error messages stating that tracks were 'not encoded properly'. Playback has now been restored and Deezer on Sonos is up and running again.

Please let us know if you run into further issue and we'll be happy to take a look at your system. If you'd like, you can also talk to a live technician via phone and we can investigate. 
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had the problem again tonight just a few minutes ago listening to Kenny Burrell on Deezer Elite via my Sonos.  Submitted the following diagnostics report although I'm not sure why I'm bothereing (4366985) when it is clearly an elite with Deezer's capacity.  Please work with Deezer to fix this.  Deezer is the reason I purchased my Sonos equipment (multiple pieces...I wanted a hi-res service).
hi,

I've been getting the same error when I'm listening to podcasts as mp3s, it keeps stopping them half way through and moving through the queue. I've submitted a diagnostic as 4891029

Also, is it possible to get the sonos to remember where it has gotten to with certain mp3s?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Diagnostic sound like best idea ...sounds like interference. Are you using Sonosnet of wifi only method (Sonosnet always preferred to avoid dropouts on wifi).
thanks chris,

I'm using wifi only, is sonosnet when you get the bridge?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It doesn't have to be a bridge. All Sonos units are bridges. When you hook one Sonos unit to your router it then creates Sonosnet (dedicated wifi for the Sonos system).

You could always try hooking one of your units to the router temporarily to try Sonosnet and see if it resolves the issue.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
keeps stopping them half way through and moving through the queue. I've submitted a diagnostic as 4891029
Hi Seann, like Chris said and after reviewing the diagnostic your system is experiencing a high level of wireless interference. I found errors when playing audio stored on the iPhone to the Sonos. Can you try to change the wireless channel on the router to 1, 6 or 11 and make sure it's on fixed and not wireless auto change. Once you have changed the router's wifi channel test the system for about 15mins and submit a diagnostic for each.

Let us know how it went when your PLAY:5 is wired to the router like Chris asked.
I am trying to add this website to My Radio Stations - http://mixlr.com/weather-for-the-blind
I can successfully add the station. However, when I play the station I get the error message that Sonos is unable to play the track because it's not encoded properly. The station is also available here - http://weatherfortheblind.org/
Is this a station that can't be played or am I doing something wrong? Thanks! Eric
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I couldn't find a direct link to be able to stream other than with MIXLR which sonos doens"t have an app for. You could try contacting the station to ask if they have any direct streams.