Question

can you use a play 1 as a computer speaker

• 25 October 2013
  • 20 replies

It would be great to use play 1 as computer speaker. i dont want to buy other third party speakers, i just want to add to my sonos system! buy 2 and pair them. and if I need them elsewhere i can just move them and use them as normal. maybe an added feature on the mac app that would allow it to be mirrored the same way you can play music from you ipad now.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Lee,

The iPad and other Mobile apps can stream music stored on them direct to your Sonos system. This allows you to play your iTunes or otherwise downloaded music to your players. You can already add a music share from any computer or network attached storage device to your Sonos system. Playback through a network share has a little more functionality than the streaming features as you can control it from any of your controllers.

Unfortunately, the PLAY:1 doesn't have a line-in though, so it can't be used as a direct speaker for your computers to play all of the audio. A CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP or PLAY:5 all have line-ins which can be played to any of your Sonos components.

Here's a good resource for information about our Line-In.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Hello Lee,

The iPad and other Mobile apps can stream music stored on them direct to your Sonos system. This allows you to play your iTunes or otherwise downloaded music to your players. You can already add a music share from any computer or network attached storage device to your Sonos system. Playback through a network share has a little more functionality than the streaming features as you can control it from any of your controllers.

Unfortunately, the PLAY:1 doesn't have a line-in though, so it can't be used as a direct speaker for your computers to play all of the audio. A CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP or PLAY:5 all have line-ins which can be played to any of your Sonos components.

Cheers.

Thank you for the information, Ryan S.

I bought my two PLAY:1's to replace my current computer speakers used for video editing. I chose Sonos to get rid of wires, and I don't want to end up with more boxes and wires than I started out with.

Yes, I know. I did not do my homework, but before I look for a bluetouth solution to replace the Sonos, I would like to try some of the work-arounds suggested by various users, (untill Sonos software engineeres see the light.)

Mac-useres seem to have success with Nicecast-software, but what would you recommend for PC-users, who would rather live with a minor lag, than no sound all?
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

Agree - I just bought Play 1 SONOS today as an External speaker for my computer and it doesn't work!!!
Hi Sonos team - are you planning to develop a solution to have the sonos speaker used as external speaker for mac?
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

There is a workaround that I use successfully:  I use Jamcast software on the PC, which can then be set up to be a virtual "Radio Station" on Sonos, so you can stream all your PC sounds to Sonos.  If you search for Jamcast on the Sonos forums you'll find the details.
Userlevel 2
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

@Peter Wilson.

I owe you a virtual beer, or something. I made it work! Thank you very much.

I get a delay less than 1 sec, I think. Also, I have experienced a sound drop-out for some seconds, but that could be due to a stressed CPU, or something.

Sonos: You better provide some kind of similar build-in solution fast, as this issue is gonna nag you forever, after the PLAY:1 introduction.

For others in similar situation, this is how I made it work for Windows 7:

- Visit to the Jamcast homepage, and download and install the 30-days trial version, (registration needed). You will be asked to provide a folder from which you can "share" your medias. Since I will probably only use Jamcast for Sonos, I just selected a random folder. After finishing, the Jamcast server will be up and running on your machine, and it will probably start automatically, each time you start your PC. So if you decide not to use it, uninstall...

- Open the control-panel | hardware and sound | sound. Under "recording", enable "stereo mix", (if it is not there, google "enable stereo mix". Normally, its pretty easy, but my motherboard is very old, so I had to install new audio drivers.) Make sure the "stereo mix" is getting some sound, when you play something on the PC, say, youtube videos. I had to go to properties (right-click) of the Stereo Mix, and turn up the "level".

- Start the Jamcast Server Manager. Choose "Content", select "Sound card or other audio interface", and select your Stereo Mix.

- Start the Sonos software, choose "Manage" and "Add Radio Station". Choose a name, and supply the URL for the radio. The following worked for me (found it somewhere using google.)

"http://192.168.1.6:58642/Media/audio/mpeg/CaptureStream"

without the quotation marks.

I'm not a network guy, but I guess the "http://192.168.1. "-part and the  ":58642/Media/audio/mpeg/CaptureStream" -part will work for most of you. The "6" in there in the middle might be varying. I found mine in my usually media player "MediaMonkey" which recognized the Jamcast server, after which I right-clicked and went to properties, and got the information.

You might find the information in the Jamcast log-file (Jamcast Server Manager| server |Logging, and click the link), but there will be a lot of similar numbers, and I don't know how to single out the right one).

-  Your own radio can (hopefully) be found in Sonos under Radio | My Radio Stations, and if you start playing it, you'll get your computer sound with approx. 1 sec delay.

Hope it works for you guys. Please post any corrections to the stuff above, to help others.

I'm still looking for an open source solution (Anyone?)

Sonos: If you provide a build-in solution, I'll buy two more PLAY:1 for my workplace.

Thanks,

Peter
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

Glad it worked for you too.  Thanks for the virtual beer!

The 192.168.1.6 is the internal IP address of the computer.  The "6" will vary.  Actually I find that it can sometimes change when I reboot my PC (I think it gets assigned a new IP address by the router).  If that happens Jamcast will stop working and you need to edit the "Radio station" settings to enter the correct number.  If you open a "Command Window" - type cmd in the windows search box and type ipconfig you will see a list of IP info.  The address you want is the one labelled "IPv4 address".  

Enjoy your Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Sonos team - are you planning to develop a solution to have the sonos speaker used as external speaker for mac?
Hi Randy,

We have an Idea thread open currently for this feature, go ahead and add your support and +1 here[/url].

Cheers.
Badge +1
Can you post the link to this idea to +1 ?
(the link above does not work for me)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Randy,

Here's that link again. It's for a BRIDGE or PLAY:1 with a line in port. Keep in mind that the PLAY:5, CONNECT, and CONNECT:AMP all do have Line-In ports. And if your computer as an optical output you can use it with the PLAYBAR as well.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

Just discovered a free alternative to Jamcast, called "Stream-what-you-hear". 
I find "Stream-what-you-hear" simpler to use than Jamcast, and have added a small description here:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/a_howto_sonos_pc_speaker_free_with_stream_what_you_hear

Hope you find it useful
Hello Sonos
I would also love if i could buy 2 Play one and use them as PC speakers. it would be PERFECT!

is there anything planned?

Best regards Simon
Was wondering if this is a viable solution to this dilemma: purchase a A CONNECT - install a Bluetooth Audio Receiver, which will register the Sonos system as a Bluetooth option for me to connect a Mac to play audio.

The Bluetooth receivers have the option to convert almost any stereo RCA systems into a viable Bluetooth system.

Please let me know your thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would seem easier to install SonoAir on your mac and then play to Sonos via airplay (assuming your Mac will do airplay).
Personally, I would love to see a Sonos USB audio device that connected to Sonosnet and acted like a source.

Obviously, you would still have some latency.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sure that would be on my wishlist for a Connect (v2) / Connect:Pro - - USB input, Digital input, 12v trigger etc. to make a Connect the true all purpose Connect.
Hello Lee,

Cheers.

Agree - I just bought Play 1 SONOS today as an External speaker for my computer and it doesn't work!!!

I'm shocked this doesn't work as a speaker for your computer.. Most disappointed. I dont use the services you offer.

I'm shocked this doesn't work as a speaker for your computer.. Most disappointed. I dont use the services you offer.

Why shocked? It is a multi-room music system and is billed as such. Not once in any advert, brochure, product page, article or trade publication will you ever see Sonos described as a "speaker for your computer". Assuming otherwise and acting shocked seems a reflection not on the product, but on your unreasonable expectations.

While for my own and personal use the word 'shocked' might not be the right term,
-> I jet refer to, that all of my Bose speakers did the trick, and am for that reason sharing Ojoasias disappointment.
Which also makes the previous posters crittic not only unjust, but also irrelevant to the subject.

For my vacation house, I then did the same mistake not to read up and got a Play:1. Both for music though also as a computer-speaker (to play games or watch stuff). Am not happy that doesn't work, while the equivalent speaker from Bose does.

Sonos-team: You might really consider to fix that inconvenience. Else it is simply Bose we have to get.

Cheers / Alex
Bluetooth speakers are useable on PC and Macs but to use a sonos speaker you need to install the sonos app and get a sonos bridge