Answered

Can you disable Wifi on Sonos Speakers?

Hello all, I have a home Sonos environment with multiple Play 1s, a Play 3 and a connect. I'm looking to reduce radio frequency emissions in my home and would like to know if I connect all of my speakers via Ethernet cables through a switch to the router if I can get all of them to communicate via Ethernet ONLY. I understand I will still need the router to broadcast Wifi so I can use my phone to control the speakers.

I have already hard wired one of the speakers and verified it is communicating via Ethernet- I even submitted a diagnostic and verified it is working through the Ethernet port... however I have a RF/EMF meter and also verified that it is still emitting the exact same wireless transmissions as when it was only on Wifi- so hooking it up via cable does not disable wifi or stop the speaker from trying to communicate over Wifi.

Can anyone help me figure out how to completely disable wifi? Is it possible? I get that was not the gameplan for typical Sonos setups but regardless that is my goal.

Thanks- Ryan
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 8 March 2017, 14:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Is it possible?
Yes, it is. Google is your friend in this matter.
Is it possible?
Yes, it is. Google is your friend in this matter.

Please share whatever information you know works. I tried Google many times before turning to this community. Nothing suggested in the google results works. The top few results look promising until you actually try them. The articles are a few years old and may have worked on previous versions of Sonos but the links provided no longer work. Can you be specific?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Can you be specific?
Here you are. Or here. Beware: Sonos doesn't support or approve it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Can you be specific?
I was, a couple of seconds ago. My message included a link. Now my message is gone. Looks like the big Sonos censor stepped in. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Another try. Apparently Sonos doesn't approve, so you're on your own here.
There's even a link off the PLAY:1 Wikipedia page.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
To my understanding, whether you have 1 Sonos piece or 128 ( 32 rooms of Sonos full surround systems ) that has an Ethernet connection you're on SonosNet, a dedicated wifi mesh network. My deduction is that you'd have less radio going on with the Standard wifi setup.

Thanks Ben, that is the method I have tried multiple times from multiple browsers and the IP address does not work when you type it in. Am I missing something? I have tried from Chrome, Internet Explorer and my iPhone.
There's even a link off the PLAY:1 Wikipedia page.

The Wiki page link only takes you to the definition of source code. It does not give you any information on how to perform the process.

I have a feeling Sonos disabled the way in to the speakers. I have a help ticket in but cannot get a straight answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks Ben, that is the method I have tried multiple times from multiple browsers and the IP address does not work when you type it in. Am I missing something? I have tried from Chrome, Internet Explorer and my iPhone.

1) Make sure you are typing in the correct IP address - Check using About My Sonos for each Sonos unit
2) Make sure you remove the from the address in the article
The Wiki page link only takes you to the definition of source code.
No it doesn't. Follow the link to the references at the bottom.

I have a feeling Sonos disabled the way in to the speakers. I have a help ticket in but cannot get a straight answer.

Nothing's been disabled, and you won't get an official answer since Sonos don't condone disabling the wireless.
To my understanding, whether you have 1 Sonos piece or 128 ( 32 rooms of Sonos full surround systems ) that has an Ethernet connection you're on SonosNet, a dedicated wifi mesh network. My deduction is that you'd have less radio going on with the Standard wifi setup.

"32 rooms of full surround systems" is impossible. The limit is 32 total Sonos units of any kind, including Plays, Connects, Bridges, and/or Boosts.
The Wiki page link only takes you to the definition of source code.
No it doesn't. Follow the link to the references at the bottom.

Nothing's been disabled, and you won't get an official answer since Sonos don't condone disabling the wireless.

Understood. Thx.
such a great question and topic. I am super concerned about EMF and SONOS . I love SONOS but they never get back and provide sufficient information about EMF.
https://flutterbustersdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/milham-historical-evidence.pdf

Please let me know if one of you have come up with a sufficient solution or I consider not using Sonos any longer
Oh jeez. :8
Please let me know if one of you have come up with a sufficient solution or I consider not using Sonos any longer
If you're that paranoid, it's very, very easy to switch off the wifi - just google 'how to disable the wifi on sonos'
Works perfectly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Here:-
https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi