Question

Can't add iTunes Music Folder to my Sonos application

I have a MacBook Air with Mac OS Sierra 10.0.2. I have installed the Sonos app on my laptop and successfully added all my desired music sources. Except one: While following the directions to a tee, I cannot add my iTunes music library. I get this error and no, the name of my computer is not over 18 characters. Can someone advise on what is going on and the steps to successfully do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Ideamer. Welcome to the community. In order to allow us to properly advise, could you submit diagnostics of your system and respond with the confirmation? One of our agents will take a look. Thanks in advance.
I have submitted them. My confirmation number is: 7043495.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Your router is intermittently dropping connection to your router. I am not able to see any error messages strictly relating to the indexing of your music library. Can you please try temporarily cabling in your speaker and computer, then try this again?
"My router is dropping connection to my router"? That doesn't really make sense. My wireless system is completely stable and I run all sorts of apps on it. I am not sure you are understanding the issue. I cannot add my iTunes Library. This is a longstanding and well known issue with Sonos. I am looking for some direction or a work around here since the directions do not produce the desired result. Can you do some research and ask some of the SME's there to see what you come up with? My question was posted over a month ago and first answered 3 weeks ago. I expect a little better from Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
"My router is dropping connection to my router"? That doesn't really make sense. My wireless system is completely stable and I run all sorts of apps on it. I am not sure you are understanding the issue. I cannot add my iTunes Library. This is a longstanding and well known issue with Sonos. I am looking for some direction or a work around here since the directions do not produce the desired result. Can you do some research and ask some of the SME's there to see what you come up with? My question was posted over a month ago and first answered 3 weeks ago. I expect a little better from Sonos.

Hi ldeamer,

In your diagnostic report it shows that your Sonos speaker is losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. When your speaker loses connection to your network it causes communication errors which can prevent the system from indexing your library. This is probably due to the nearby wireless networks, other than your own, which are operating on the same wireless channel. It would help to try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 as this is a much less crowded channel.
And how, praytell, would I go about in doing that? And is there a way I can a more prompt reply than once every two weeks?
Changing your wireless channel on each router can be and likely is different for every router manufacturer on the market. May I suggest that you look at the manual for the particular router that you own?

The other option would be to move to a "boost" setup, in which you wire one Sonos device directly to the router, allowing the Sonos device to setup it's own "wireless network" called Sonosnet, at which point you can change the channel for that in the Sonos app. This may not be a convenient thing for you, though, depending on how close your speakers may be to your router. It is, however, why they sell the Sonos Boost device, but you could just as easily get a Play:1 and use that. At this point, any Sonos device, be it a Connect:Amp, Connect, Boost, Play:x, or Playbar can operate in the same manner as the Boost by creating the Sonosnet mesh network, just by being attached to the router via an internet cable. It takes a couple of minutes for the system to recognize it, but it works pretty well.

Good luck!
Badge
I have the same problem, again. I also agree it is a common problem, but I have been unable to find the solution documented. The first time, it took quite a while to walk the tech through all the usually trouble shooting before being upgraded to tier 2 support. Unfortunately I do not recall the fix from 4 months ago, and it is happening again. I believe it involved changing some configuration files, not the kind of stuff you want to do by trial and error. My original ticket number: 160924-000508.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem, again. I also agree it is a common problem, but I have been unable to find the solution documented. The first time, it took quite a while to walk the tech through all the usually trouble shooting before being upgraded to tier 2 support. Unfortunately I do not recall the fix from 4 months ago, and it is happening again. I believe it involved changing some configuration files, not the kind of stuff you want to do by trial and error. My original ticket number: 160924-000508.

Hi User6859,

In your previous incident the issue was fixed by repairing the sharing permissions on your music folder. Please check the folder's permissions and ensure that the Sonos user has read access on that folder and on all files within. If that does't help, please submit a diagnostic report from your system then reply with the confirmation number.
Badge
Jeff S, thanks for the response. I did verify that my user id - and actually "everyone" - has read access to my music folder and all of its content. I do recall there previously being a specific "Sonos user" on my system, but do not see that user id now. my diagnostics confirmation number is: 7137404. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Jeff S, thanks for the response. I did verify that my user id - and actually "everyone" - has read access to my music folder and all of its content. I do recall there previously being a specific "Sonos user" on my system, but do not see that user id now. my diagnostics confirmation number is: 7137404. Thanks!

It looks like your diagnostic report was sent from a Mac. Please try removing the music share from your Sonos system, then add it back using the HP's Sonos app. If you get another error, please send in a report from the HP and reply with the confirmation number.