Answered

Can I use my Sonos Play:1 as an output speaker on my Mac?

• 12 November 2013
  • 3 replies

How can I connect a Sonos Play:1 to my computer to use it as the default line out speaker?
icon

Best answer by JackWright 7 February 2018, 21:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hello! I have a few suggestions for you. One can be achieved for free, while the other ones require investment.

Firstly, the more official route - buying a Sonos device with line-in. None of these options are cheap... :(
This means you can use your Play:5 (3.5mm in), Playbar/base (Digital Optical in) or Sonos Connect (RCA in) and stream the input over the Sonos network to your desired players. If you're using an analog in, expect a 70ms delay between the input and the output. Using optical in, there is a 30ms delay (one of the many reasons why the Playbar/base are better for TV use). This is purely because you're using the Play:1's as speakers over a network and not a direct connection.

Secondly, the less official route being stream your desktop audio over IP and configure a custom radio station through the desktop app. This feature doesn't work with the mobile app, however. I have done this before, though I can't remember what program I used. One caveat to this, is that the time between the action and the sound can be many seconds and isn't instant. Not ideal for general use but for using YouTube or something it's great!

In a nutshell, the Play 1's aren't really meant to be used as desktop speakers. :(

EDIT: SONOS STOP RECOMMENDING THREADS THAT ARE 4 YEARS OLD!
lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
EDIT: SONOS STOP RECOMMENDING THREADS THAT ARE 4 YEARS OLD!

Thanks for trying to help anyway! We're looking to go through and close out some of these old threads, in the future.
What would be the selection criteria? We know that the search function here sucks, but this could be throwing out the baby with the bathwater? Even if the occasional four year old question is left answered; the OP isn't holding his breath, presumably.