can i use a play 5 and a pair of play 1's?

• 17 December 2014
  • 8 replies

I'm looking to buy a Sonos sound system for under $1000.  I have one large room and want to fill it with rich sound.  I'm thinking a pair of play 1's and one play 5 but can you do that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
a pair of play3's and a sub would be the best. I have a pair of 5's and they sound good but no where near a pair of 3's and a sub
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just thought I'd mention that if you require line-in, so you can use Sonos as a computer speaker (or for your phone/tablet or speaker for other devices) then you'll need either a PLAY:5, CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP. So, if you're watching something on YouTube and you want the sound to come out of your Sonos speaker the only AIO player capable of this is the PLAY:5.
a pair of play3's and a sub would be the best. I have a pair of 5's and they sound good but no where near a pair of 3's and a sub
This option goes quite a way beyond the $1000 budget. A pair of Play1s + Sub is closer to the target and a pair of Play5s comes in under.
Care to chime in Mohammed, what would you recommend for a large room - a pair of play 5's or a sub with a pair of 1's?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Care to chime in Mohammed, what would you recommend for a large room - a pair of play 5's or a sub with a pair of 1's?

With respect to sound quality I can only say that I prefer the sound of two PLAY:3's but that's only a matter of personal taste. I recommend going to the nearest store and have a listen and compare for yourself.

The speakers all have their advantages. If you intend to build a home theater out of this in the future go for two PLAY:1 or PLAY:3 (not possible with PLAY:5).
If you ever want one of them in the bathroom, PLAY:1 is the only option (humidity resistant).
PLAY:3 is designed to sit and stand. If you do test them, have a listen when it's standing and when it's sitting. Do you perceive any difference in sound?
If you're not planning on building a home theater but line-in functionality is an absolute must then PLAY:5 is the obvious choice.

All three models can be stereo-paired if you have two of the same kind.
If you've any more questions feel free to ask. Certainly let us know what you went for.

I appreciate your patience Mohammed.  I have a few more questions.

I see that I can plug into our TV with a stereo mini to RCA Y audio cable to connect the play:5.  True?  This would be an improvement in sound quality over what I have now which is just the TV (no TV speakers).  

Also, if i'm on my laptop connected WIFI and I'm playing a song on YouTube, what Sonos products do I need to play that song?  
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

True collin, the PLAY:5 can be used as a television speaker for most TV's as it has line-in. If you're watching a video on e.g. YouTube on your phone/tablet/laptop simply plug the audio cable into the PLAY:5's line-in jack and the device's/controller's headphone jack, select line-in source in the app and the sound should come out of the PLAY:5 (and any other wireless Sonos speakers/components you choose to group it with using the app). Having two PLAY:5 will give you really big sound, in my opinion you wouldn't even need a SUB in that case.