Can I send in my Play 5 gen 1s for refurbishment/upgrade

• 12 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I am wondering if I can send in my old play 5 gen1s to Sonos or an outside vendor center where they can upgrade the 2.4ghz WiFi to 5ghz WiFi for surround sound enablement or just rebuild/refoam the speakers after a set amount of time

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Thanks all. I found a website that outlines how to repair the Sonos yourself but that’s about it. I much prefer the aesthetic and white grille of the Gen one vs the black gen 2. I hate they didn’t carryover this feature.
Even if you could squeeze in a 5 GHz radio, the firmware would not recognize it, and I highly doubt Sonos is going to create custom firmware for this purpose. As to refoaming the speakers, I have never heard of them offering this service, but I'll allow a Sonos tech to answer definitively.
No, that's not an option. First, Sonos doesn't offer that service, or support an outside service to do that, so there is no guarantee that the play:5 would work with the replaced hardware. And even if you could the play:5 gen1 and related playbar/playbase/beam/sonos amp do not have the software to setup the play:5 gen1 as a surround speaker.