Can I put Play:1’s in an outdoor gazebo?

• 11 May 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Moving to Houston and working on a Sonos setup. New house has a 10x10 gazebo with power and a tv. Gazebo is 30 ft from the house.

I would love to put a pair of Play:1’s in it.

What are people’s thought on these speakers outdoors in rain proof environment?

Also, will I have connectivity issues that far from the house (airport extreme router)? If so, any thoughts on how to solve?

Thanks for your time in advance.
CC

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The connectivity wireless is just a matter of testing, there are too many factors that could influence the connection. No chance to pull a UTP cable from your router to the gazebo ? That would be the perfect plan B and will always work. If protected for rain, it will work outside but weather conditions will influence the lifetime of the speakers on the long run.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wiring the Play1s (or just 1 of them) will work but then control of the speakers may be an issue. An Android device can be configured to connect to the SonosNet but other tablets (iOS etc) won't have a Wi-Fi to connect to. This means you'd have to go back to the house to start/stop/change the msuic
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Good catch Stuart, this could be solved by putting a wifi/router/switch at the end of the UTP in the gazebo, disable DHCP and connect one or both P1`s cabled to the device as well. So it will act as wifi access point to the outside garden for controllers and cabled switch to the Sonos devices.
Badge
Ok newbie question. Why would the speakers connect to my wifi and not my iPhone?

Hmm, what is SonosNet?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If you connect at least one Sonos device (speaker or boost) wired to your router, Sonos creates a dedicated wireless network (mesh type) only for Sonos use. This is SonosNet and works aside of your standard wifi, offering more stability and less chance on hickups, interference etc.
Badge
Ok thanks on the SonosNet. How do I ensure that the SonosNet will reach the whole house (5500 sq ft)?
SonosNet is a mesh network, each Sonos speaker acts as a node. For places that you don’t want to put a speaker, you can use a BOOST, which also acts as a node. I think they use 802.11 b/g, so the distance would be roughly what you get from a normal WiFi router, give or take. It really depends on interference, wall density, electrical fields, all the normal issues for WiFi.