Answered

Can I conect two Sonos Play 1's to my Samsung Smart TV for normal sound

• 28 October 2013
  • 42 replies

I want to use the Play1's as the audio for the tv, do I need to purchase the connect unit or is there another way?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 30 October 2013, 19:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

So there isn't a way of connecting them wirelessly then? The smart tv is wireless and can connect to a home network, presumably it could also connect to a sonos network?
@Hafees Yes, As long as you set the Play:1s as back surrounds rather than as a separate zone. As you will get a difference of roughly 40ms if you group them as two zones.

So there isn't a way of connecting them wirelessly then? The smart tv is wireless and can connect to a home network, presumably it could also connect to a sonos network?
Hello,

Unfortunately not. The only audio which is streamed directly from devices is music stored on iOS or Android controllers. All of our music partners stream straight through the network from the unit wired into the network and then out to the internet. To play local sources like TVs or computer audio you'll need a unit with a Line-In. The Samsung TV can't connect to SonosNet which is a proprietary WiFi network. 

Cheers.
which is why I will not be buying anymore Sonos devices... frustrating.
Just to let people know thanks a lot for the advice. According to a sonos customer service agent (he really dint like what I was trying to achieve) playing the play1's through is not possible and there would be audio:video lagging as rca to rca and then to wifi blah blah doesnt work. Lies lies lies.

Thanks to you guys I got it up and running. I used a RCA to optical output converter. So its working optically there is no lag whatsoever.
Playing the TV and the speakers at the same time doesnt sound great so I just play external speakers/play1 and switch off the internal speaker from the TV. I guess the only issue is volume control is with my phone and also Ive come across another issue now when I go to TV apps such as netflix the sopund doesnt come out ? Now thats something I have to figure out any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again
Are you using RCA audio out of the TV? Make sure you connect to the input RCA on the Connect, not the output RCA. Then if you look at the available music sources for the Play:1s you should see line in as a possibility.
the tv model is LG 49UF680V. I don't see a CONNECT line-in audio on my actual phone app ?? unless i plugging the cables in wrong Im not quite sure whats going on. Thank you for your prompt response look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi everybody,

I have a Lg TV with optical output, rca output and a sonos connect with two play 1. I wanted to somehow get my tv to transmit through the play1's im really struggling here cant seem to make it work at all. Any suggestions maybe im using the wrong cables ?

You'll need to get the TV wired to the CONNECT's input. The easiest way will likely be with RCA cables, since the CONNECT uses RCA for its analog input. Once wired to the CONNECT, you can use the Sonos controller app to have the PLAY:1s play the CONNECT's Line-In audio. You can find some more details on how Line-In works on Sonos in this FAQ.

If you're still having trouble, please let us know what model TV you have and I'll see if I can find some more specific information for you.
Hi everybody,

I have a Lg TV with optical output, rca output and a sonos connect with two play 1. I wanted to somehow get my tv to transmit through the play1's im really struggling here cant seem to make it work at all. Any suggestions maybe im using the wrong cables ?
Badge +2
If I can add to this discussion many months on, I've used a CONNECT to attach my TV to paired Play:1s. While the Play:1 wired to the CONNECT box is fine, the other frequently cuts out. It's not possible for me to wire one speaker to another so is there any way to stop this?
Since their software / firmware update on remove the hub and connecting directly to the home network via wifi works.. I am still tempted to try this setup instead of the playbar. The playbar as incredible as it is and sounds, is still more expensive than 2 play:1.

If someone got the 5.1 setup, can you please let us know how it goes disconnecting playbar and bass and leaving only the play:1 connected to the tv via wireless?

We ll be waiting for an answer 🙂
The wireless option doesn't make any difference, that's for connecting the Sonos devices to a wireless network, not for connecting other devices to Sonos' network.
Badge
I would imagine this is never going to be an option....
Any feedbacks on using 2 Sonos Play:1 with Samsung Smart TV using the new wireless update?

Thanks!

Pmeves
dear all,

still not news for using Play1's connected to a smart tv?

thanks in advance!

Rafa
Thanks Chris and Josh. I have decided to buy a bridge and a playbar. I don't have budget for a sub at this stage. Will add on in about 3 months I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes that is correct.  If want to avoid buying bridge you need to register for the beta.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I would recommend the BRIDGE though, my opinion.

Just a note, the official version of 5.4 isn't out yet (what Chris is referencing) so you will need to follow the steps detailed here, once you have registered your system, to join the SONOS beta should you avoid the BRIDGE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't need a bridge either.  If your system is a Playbar and Sub and you download the current beta software they will connect directly to your home wifi (no bridge device needed).  With just the one pair of Playbar and Sub this should be fine.

If you want to add more sonos speakers later I then would recommend hooking one sonos device to your router to create Sonosnet (any sonos speaker, device, bridge etc. to router is all needed).

But for your playbar/sub you don't need anything hooked to router (new beta feature).  Pre-beta Playbar surround required hooking to router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't need a bridge either.  If your system is a Playbar and Sub and you download the current beta software they will connect directly to your home wifi (no bridge device needed).  With just the one pair of Playbar and Sub this should be fine.

If you want to add more sonos speakers later I then would recommend hooking one sonos device to your router to create Sonosnet (any sonos speaker, device, bridge etc. to router is all needed).

But for your playbar/sub you don't need anything hooked to router (new beta feature).  Pre-beta Playbar surround required hooking to router.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Happy to help! 😃
Oh wow. Saved me some money. Thanks Josh
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
And if you get a BRIDGE or BOOST then you won't need a Powerline adapter.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
A BRIDGE or BOOST, not a CONNECT if you are just plugging into a router. Both the BRIDGE and BOOST cost less than a CONNECT. The connect is for adding a stereo/amp to a SONOS system. The Bridge and Boost were designed to plug into the router and make a network for the other SONOS products in your home.
Oh right. Now I get it. I have to unfortunately use a powerline adapter to get the ethernet to my TV. Or buy a sonos connect
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If the PLAYBAR, SUB, or any of the PLAY:1s are right next to the router then you could plug any of them into it as they all have an Ethernet port and an Ethernet cable in the box, but I would still recommend a Bridge or Boost.(also come with an Ethernet cable in the box) 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
The BOOST / BRIDGE does the "have one sonos component hard wired to your router" bit.
OK sure