Answered

Can I conect two Sonos Play 1's to my Samsung Smart TV for normal sound

• 28 October 2013
  • 42 replies

I want to use the Play1's as the audio for the tv, do I need to purchase the connect unit or is there another way?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 30 October 2013, 19:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hell Neil.

The PLAY:1 does not have a Line-In port, so it cannot be hooked directly up to an external audio source. Other Sonos components like the PLAY:5 and CONNECT have Line-In ports which you can use to play external audio to Sonos. For use with a TV you'd want to use the Optical input of the PLAYBAR for the best sound and experience. The PLAY:1 is a great surround speaker to use a pair with a PLAYBAR.

You can find some more information on how Line-In works with Sonos in this FAQ.
So there isn't a way of connecting them wirelessly then? The smart tv is wireless and can connect to a home network, presumably it could also connect to a sonos network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So there isn't a way of connecting them wirelessly then? The smart tv is wireless and can connect to a home network, presumably it could also connect to a sonos network?
Hello,

Unfortunately not. The only audio which is streamed directly from devices is music stored on iOS or Android controllers. All of our music partners stream straight through the network from the unit wired into the network and then out to the internet. To play local sources like TVs or computer audio you'll need a unit with a Line-In. The Samsung TV can't connect to SonosNet which is a proprietary WiFi network. 

Cheers.
You should get a connect amp and two normal (non sonos) speakers (wired) or a connect and the plays for wireless stereo sound. Wireless is only signal wise, all sonos components still require 120 volt AC
I really wish they would incorporate analog inputs on all their devices (esp the playbar), but they always just say to buy another one of their components...never gonna win here though 😞
Can I buy a sonos playbar and connect an optical input from my TV to the play bar and then will my two play 1 speakers connect to playbar wirelessly to join the sonos network
Thanks Josh. Can I adjust those settings in the sonos app??
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
40ms would give you a noticeable echo/delay between the Playbar and the Play:1s.
The Play:1s and Playbar will become one zone when the Play:1s are set as the Playbar's left and right surrounds
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Do you mean to add the Play:1s as the Playbar's surrounds? Yes, You will be offered to add a left surround and right surround when setting up the PlayBar and there is an "Add surrounds" button in the Playbar's room settings.
Oh ok that's good. Would you recommend buying the sub as well??
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Yes, and you can add as many Sonos speakers that you want and each one can play separately or together from what ever input you want, in this case the TV.  I have a Play Bar and the Sub and it is great!  
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
CapnLes you can only add 2 Play:1s or Play:3s as the back surrounds for the Playbar, and yes the SUB is amazing
So you have connected the optical out from the TV to the playbar and that's it? The rest would be wireless?
OK my shopping list would be Playbar SUB And I don't need a Connect at this stage cause I am using it only for TV sound and to play the occasional music. Would that be accurate??
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
When you setup the Playbar, you are also offered setting up Play:1s or Play:3s as back surrounds and a SUB too. Once you've added the surrounds and sub then they will appear in the same zone as your PLAYBAR
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Yes that is right.  It is a good idea to have one Sonos component hard wired to your router.  That way the Sonos network will be up and running and not on Wifi.  Add the Sub with the PlayBar and two Play 1s and you can have 5.1 surround sound.  
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
The CONNECT is only for adding an existing stereo system. Also, If your PLAYBAR is not sat next to your router then you will also need a BOOST or BRIDGE to plug into your router.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
The BOOST / BRIDGE does the "have one sonos component hard wired to your router" bit.
OK sure
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If the PLAYBAR, SUB, or any of the PLAY:1s are right next to the router then you could plug any of them into it as they all have an Ethernet port and an Ethernet cable in the box, but I would still recommend a Bridge or Boost.(also come with an Ethernet cable in the box) 😃
Oh right. Now I get it. I have to unfortunately use a powerline adapter to get the ethernet to my TV. Or buy a sonos connect
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
A BRIDGE or BOOST, not a CONNECT if you are just plugging into a router. Both the BRIDGE and BOOST cost less than a CONNECT. The connect is for adding a stereo/amp to a SONOS system. The Bridge and Boost were designed to plug into the router and make a network for the other SONOS products in your home.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
And if you get a BRIDGE or BOOST then you won't need a Powerline adapter.
Oh wow. Saved me some money. Thanks Josh
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Happy to help! 😃