Buzzing / vibration from Play 1 with bass when over half volume.

• 11 January 2021
  • 11 replies

I have one of my rooms set up with a Play bar and two Play 1 speakers connected as a stereo pair. One of my Play 1 speakers has started to vibrate/buzz when the base is set in the middle which gets worse when the bass is increased. 

I now have to play music with reduced bass, no loudness and the treble up and it just about works. It sounds like a physical problem rather than anything else.

Is there a life expectancy on these speakers as I have only had them a few years whereas my B&O Theater system has been going for more than 15 years with no problems?

Just wondering if failure is built in to get you to upgrade to the latest version of the product. Has anyone else had similar issues?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tcmartin.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Let me help out.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on.

• Do other music services on the Sonos App work like Sonos Radio, TuneIn, Spotify, etc?
  • IS there any error message on the Sonos App when we try to play from Mixcloud music service through the Sonos App?
  • Do we have the same error when playing other music services through the Sonos App?
  • Can we try to remove and re-add the music service
  • Do we still get the same error?
  • Can we try playing the same music service using a different controller available?
  • Can we submit a diagnostic after 2-3 minutes of an error appearing on the Sonos App?

The more information you provide, the more we can have a better understanding on what is going on to help you out.

Please let us know how it goes. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The music services work fine. In fact I am listening to Spotify as I type and using the Sonos app. 

There are no error messages as this sounds more physical as if something has come lose in the speaker.

The issue is the same across all players if the bass is turned up. Only happening on one of the stereo pair of Play 1s 

I have tried several different music services and they all have the same issue on this speaker. My wife and son use the same services elsewhere in the house without problems. I have 5 other Play 1 speakers around the house with similar configurations of playbars and stereo Play 1 pairs.

The same issue occurs whatever device I use to play the music. As I mention above this is more of a physical buzz rather than an application / software error. Just disappointed in the build quality as I would have expected the speaker to have lasted a little longer.

Currently looking at your new Play One SL (I have more than 10 Alexa devices around the house so don't need the microphone.) but hanging off for the moment as want to understand if I am likely to have a similar issue so waiting for more feedback.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tcmartin.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

From this point, I would recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or possible product replacement. It is best to contact our technical support team so they can dig deeper and find out what would be the better step to take and what is causing the issue as it may be an internal hardware fault. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic after 3-5 minutes of the issue happening so we can check if there are any wireless interference that might be causing this issue as well.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Thanks Paul,

I will submit a diagnostic and then reach out to the support team.

Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tcmartin.

Thanks for considering my recommendation. I would also like to ask if you can post here the solution provided on what was done to fix the issue with your Sonos so other members of the community who might have the same situation as yours may find your solution handy.

Thanks,

I’m having the exact same issue. I received mine as a Christmas gift less than a month ago and I’m so disappointed. 

I’m having the exact same issue. I received mine as a Christmas gift less than a month ago and I’m so disappointed. 

I would recommend you perhaps follow the same suggestions mentioned above in Paul A’s posts. 

Hi Paul,

Submitted a diagnostic last week (1283003179) but not sure what I need to do next. Sorry if I am asking a daft question but nothing came back to say how I should track this.

Thanks

Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tcmartin.

Thanks for your immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic.

I have taken a look into your diagnostic and it seems that Sonos are detecting multiple router/access points in the location. I would like to recommend the following troubleshooting steps that might help.

• Allow me to share a guide about how to reduce wireless interference as other networking devices may contribute to wireless interference that sometimes causes these type of audio behavior.
  • If the audio do sound like a blown woofer, I would like to recommend to perform a complete factory reset, then go to settings » system » add product. ***Note: during the Chime sound when you press the join button, can we try to observe and record if the audio issue is present at this point.*** 
  • If the Buzzing / vibration from Play 1 is present during the chime sound when you add the Play 1 back into your Sonos App, please contact our technical support immediately so they can dig in deeper or possible replace the product for you.

I hope this can give us a little more info.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work has been a bit frantic. I reset both of the Play1s in my office and have submitted another diagnostic 379588170.

Interesting that when I did this there was a chime sound on the speakers as they were reconnecting. On one of these this sounded fine but the chime was distorted on the other one which is the speaking I have been having sound issues with. I would have assumed that the chime sound should have been the same on both on the assumption that they are now both on the same WAP. Could you check the diagnostic to see if the router / access point issue has been resolved for the two I have reset?

Just wondering if there is any way of seeing the IP address of the speakers as I have multiple WAPs around the house and it would be good to see which speaker is connect to which WAP?

Thanks

Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tcmartin.

Thanks for the update and immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic.

Upon review of the diagnostic provided, It shows that You have multiple Access Point, WIfi Booster, Wifi Extender, or router that provides the same Wifi name. All your Sonos products are well distributed with in the network and if they are functioning well, I would have no recommendations for a perfect bandwidth distribution of your Sonos products with in the system. However, you have mentioned about a distorted chime sound on one of your Play 1s, I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps or possible product replacement. A distorted chime sound on any Sonos products indicates a possible hardware failure.

Just wondering if there is any way of seeing the IP address of the speakers as I have multiple WAPs around the house and it would be good to see which speaker is connect to which WAP? I would suggest reaching out t\o the manufacturer of the device or WAPs as they may have further information about this.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,