Bug report: Move volume limit is kept in bluetooth mode

• 4 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

So I recently went with my SONOS move to a holiday trip 3000km away from my home wifi. At home I limited the overall loudness of all devices to 40%. Then I realized, that this limitation/setting persists even in bluetooth mode and there is no way to change this setting to get 100% of the possible volume abroad. I had to reset the whole device to make the limitation disappear.

In my option this is a bug and the volume limit should not be persist over Bluetooth and WiFi. As an alternative it may be possible to have two volume limitations. One for the bluetooth mode and one for the WiFi mode. Or the SONOS app becomes able to manage the device even when connected using bluetooth.

This problem was also discussed here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @thomas.kekeisen,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out to us with your playback issue. 

Can I ask if you verified that the audio volume on your source (phone or tablet) is turned up while the Bluetooth audio is playing?

I can certainly pass your feedback along to our development team so that we can look at this issue.

So I recently went with my SONOS move to a holiday trip 3000km away from my home wifi. At home I limited the overall loudness of all devices to 40%. Then I realized, that this limitation/setting persists even in bluetooth mode and there is no way to change this setting to get 100% of the possible volume abroad. I had to reset the whole device to make the limitation disappear.

In my option this is a bug and the volume limit should not be persist over Bluetooth and WiFi. As an alternative it may be possible to have two volume limitations. One for the bluetooth mode and one for the WiFi mode. Or the SONOS app becomes able to manage the device even when connected using bluetooth.

This problem was also discussed here.

This is just for info. and maybe worth noting, even if you are 3000km from home, but only if you are able to get access to WiFi, or able to quickly setup a temporary mobile (iOS/Android phone or tablet) WiFi Hotspot. You can then do the following…

Add Another Wireless Network to a Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new (temporary) WiFi network, or mobile Hotspot.
  2. Switch the Move to WiFi mode.
  3. Open the Sonos controller app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap...'This isn’t working'.
  4. Tap 'More Options’, then 'Update Wi-Fi Settings'.
  5. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network/Hotspot.

Sonos products can and will continue to remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your Home WiFi network. 

Once connected to such a mobile WiFi Hotspot, it’s then possible to access the App and reset the 'volume limiter’ in the  Sonos Move’s 'Room' Settings. 

I have my Move setup (in advance) on my iPhone XR mobile Hotpot and my Wife’s mobile also, so either device can act as a Host WiFi Hotspot, or Sonos controller device, when we take the 'Move' away from Home. It provides us with the choice to use it on WiFi, or Bluetooth whilst away travelling and to configure the Sonos App Settings.

So whilst this is not a perfect solution to the issue here, it is perhaps a worthwhile thing to keep in mind and it may save having to factory reset the Move, if you have the option to connect to a mobile Hotspot, or other WiFi signal.

Hope that may assist (a little). 👍

thomas.k,

When adding any other Wifi, or mobile hotspot networks, for use by the 'Move', you will see the WiFi details stored in the Sonos App in “Settings/System/Network/Networks/Other Networks” (see attached example screenshot) and the actual connection credentials are stored on the Move device, so when the travelling Speaker next encounters one of these other stored WiFi networks (when in WiFi mode & away from the main Home Network), it will switch and connect automatically to that available broadcasting Hotspot ...so there is no further setup/configuration process required when out and about ...and so pre-setup of a connection to an available mobile device Hotspot, in advance of any travel, is perhaps worthy of some consideration too.

Badge

Thanks for your replies. The workarounds seem to be reliable, but I think I will just remove the limitation when I leave the next time.

@Jean C. I can confirm that the volume of the device was turned up to 100%. We tried this with multiple MacBooks and multiple iPhones.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @thomas.kekeisen, I’m glad that we were able to offer some working options for you. 

As I mentioned, this feedback will be passed along to our development team and taken into consideration.

I agree that having the volume limiter carry over from WiFi mode to Bluetooth can set up an undesired playback behavior and certainly one that can’t be changed while away from your home network.

The mobile hotspot is a great workaround.  For me however I don’t pay extra for that with Verizon so I’m SOL.

It would be super cool to be able to limit the volume for WIFI playback and Bluetooth separately.

Good luck development team!!