Broken Trust

• 24 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Words cannot describe my disappointment in Sonos.  I have invested thousands of euros in you. My "legacy" speakers work perfectly well.  I do not want your updates. All I want to do is for the speakers to do what I originally bought them for.  I promise you I will never be tricked or forced into paying a single extra cent for Sonos equipment, and I regard as malicious any attempt on your part to render them obsolete.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don’t think you understand this issue, rather than rehash it try this:

https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Userlevel 1

I don’t think you understand this issue, rather than rehash it try this:

https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Thanks, Stanley, but I think I understand perfectly well.  I will never buy another Sonos product.  How could I trust this company again?

@Brianakos ; I sympathise. Having seen Sonos break at least three promises with this decision, including one from the CEO, to me that is a question with only the obvious answer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

First, I can understand your disappointment if you presumed your Sonos devices would be updated forever. Your presumption did not turn out to be true. But as I understand it Sonos has never promised anything about until what date devices would be receiving updates. Exactly what promises or trust has been broken?

Userlevel 1

When the company said two days ago that it would no longer attempt to update the software, and that the speakers would eventually stop working, I believe the company was attempting to force me to buy new products.  It has backtracked, but without guarantees.  I will attempt to seal my system with Spotify and Alexa, to whatever state it is in in May.  But how can I trust that Sonos will not deliberately jeopardise my system? I simply wish to state that, on principle, I will never succumb to aggressive business models like this, backtrack or no backtrack.