Question

bricked PLAY5 in frist sonos trade-up scheme. NOW you don't need to brick it !

• 25 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Dear customer support,

trade up scheme alows customers to buy new hardware with a discount, but NOW you don’t have to brick the old hardware.

I’d like to reactivate my play5 if I bricked it wuth the first trade-up scheme??

thanks

david

8 replies

This is something you need to contact Sonos customer support directly for.  It’s not an issue for the community forum.  To my knowledge Sonos has not ‘un-bricked’ any speakers.  Since you signed a contract accepting the terms of the original agreement, Sonos is under no obligation to change the terms of that agreement.

Badge

thanks for your answer. That was the first agreement they give us. They changed it later to allow the use of speakers in Sonos S1.  I think they should reverse that first agreement, because it is discrimination against the customer.

thanks for your answer. That was the first agreement they give us. They changed it later to allow the use of speakers in Sonos S1.  I think they should reverse that first agreement, because it is discrimination against the customer.

Discrimination?  How?  Again you accepted the voluntary agreement.  I did as well.  There was no clause stating that if the deal changes, you could reverse your agreement. Actually, the deal specified that we agreed to recycle our units, so most people would not have a device to ‘un brick’. 

But as I said before, call Sonos and plead your case.  Maybe they can make an exception somehow.

Badge

all right, maybe the word “Discrimination” is not fair. Me and all we agreed that agreement didn’t know it was going to change a few weeks later in a better way, allowing us to use our old devices (I still like so much my PLAY5 GEN1, and better if my son uses it, not holding books)

Maybe SONOS could now revoke the S2 App and we have to turn back to S1, having our new hardware  obsolete (? !-) we´ve agreed that agreement too , but we thougt that was  the best option for us (and for Sonos, of course, because we want to support and improve SONOS).

it’s just a feeling of trust….

all right, maybe the word “Discrimination” is not fair. Me and all we agreed that agreement didn’t know it was going to change a few weeks later in a better way, allowing us to use our old devices (I still like so much my PLAY5 GEN1, and better if my son uses it, not holding books)

Understood.  Call Sonos and plead your case.  Nothing the community can really do for you.

Maybe SONOS could now revoke the S2 App and we have to turn back to S1, having our new hardware  obsolete (? !-) we´ve agreed that agreement too , but we thougt that was  the best option for us (and for Sonos, of course, because we want to support and improve SONOS).

it’s just a feeling of trust….

No, Sonos can’t revoke the S2 app like that, making new devices obsolete.  You have a one year warranty and Sonos has stated they will support devices for atleast 5 years.  They could make changes to the controller app, drastic changes, but they still must support products for 5 years.

Badge

I was been sarcastic...I have trusted SONOS again to use SONOS S2 App for several years.

Also I trusted SONOS when they proposed to recycle my play5 for a new device. Now I think I should not have trusted them, so I should  be able to  use my play5 as I’m doing with my SONOS CONNECT in S1.

Bad luck trading-up in a bad time? I think clients should not be send to that feeling….or at least companies should reconsider their positions if clients are affected in a bad way, and there is a possible solution (just activate my MAC device).

I know you don’t feel the same and you are happy once you have lost your device/s (knowing you could be able to use them).

tried to contact sonos several times, by phone no answer, by email they say this is it. Waste of time and beautiful device that works fine, but SONOS decided for several months they should not work anymore. Now they say you can use it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If they had built in a way to undo the bricking operation, then folks who like to reverse engineer all things Sonos (eg me) could have found it, and undone everyone’s bricked device. So they made it a one time, non reversible operation. And yes, although I have spent some time looking, I have yet to find some secret back-door for this undo operation, so I’m pretty sure there isn’t one.

I was been sarcastic...I have trusted SONOS again to use SONOS S2 App for several years.

Also I trusted SONOS when they proposed to recycle my play5 for a new device. Now I think I should not have trusted them, so I should  be able to  use my play5 as I’m doing with my SONOS CONNECT in S1.

Sonos did exactly what they said they were going to do when you signed the agreement.  At no point did Sonos say they would never change the program to provide better terms, or that you would be able to opt into that deal.  On the other hand, since we’re talking about trust, you agreed to recycle your product, and yet you have not done that.  I get that you hadn’t gotten around to it or what have you (I have not recycled mine yet either) but you’re the one that is asking to change the terms of your agreement.

And again, you’re only considering yourself here.  You are forgetting that others did what they were supposed to and recycled their devices as per the agreement. Obviously, Sonos can’t do anything for those customers.  The fair thing to do for all customers who agreed to the original agreement is to stick with the original agreement.

Bad luck trading-up in a bad time? I think clients should not be send to that feeling….or at least companies should reconsider their positions if clients are affected in a bad way, and there is a possible solution (just activate my MAC device).

Again, it does not resolve  the issue, if you can call it an issue, for customers that followed the terms of the agreement. Call it bad luck if you want, but companies change programs and policies all the time, including sales.  Sometimes you get a good deal on a product and then a better deal comes along.  Or you got the best deal possible. Sometimes the 2nd best deal is the best to you because it comes at a time when you need it more, or get the extra time of using the product. 

I know you don’t feel the same and you are happy once you have lost your device/s (knowing you could be able to use them).

I had 3 products.  Two on the first deal, one on the 2nd. I wish I had waited on all three, but will stick to the terms I agreed to.

tried to contact sonos several times, by phone no answer, by email they say this is it. Waste of time and beautiful device that works fine, but SONOS decided for several months they should not work anymore. Now they say you can use it...

Yes, customer service with Sonos is not at all what it should be right now.  Agreed on that.  Sonos also used to price a playbar at $700.  Now it’s much cheaper.  Should they be sending out checks or hold customers to the terms they agreed to?