Answered

Bricked play 5

• 24 January 2020
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

When my perfectly fine Play 5 gets bricked, will it still function as a "dumb" speaker?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 January 2020, 23:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Exactly. We who jumped onboard and traded up have now been mislead following these backtrack statements.

The 30 percent discount doesn't come into this. In fact high street prices already have a significant saving on the Sonos retail price so it's hardly been a brilliant deal.

Again Sonos need to do something to sort this. They've had my money and really don't give toss about my old Play 5. So let me keep it.

I’d recommend you’d discussion your situation directly with Sonos.  There are staff here, but they are obviously rather busy right now.    You probably can get a return on the speaker you bought with the 30%, and you’d be able to use it for something else. but I doubt they’ll get your recycled speaker back.

But it’s worth a shot if that’s what you want to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I traded before the Legacy e-mail so I can’t claim any regret there.

Folks that jumped at the first word, about a program that wasn’t happening until May, well they may have regrets and want to talk with Sonos.

If Sonos does sweeten the Trade Up deal then I might be less than happy. If that happens I’ll contact Sonos directly to discuss it, public boards aren’t the best place for that kind of thing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Well said 

Likewise here. I too have contacted Sonos direct and I doubt anything said on the community's forum will affect their decisions to be honest.

It's a shame because every member on here now unhappy are probably the ones who helped put Sonos as the class leaders in multi room.

The deal should have been better to be honest and the response following is basically upsets others now who have jumped in and spent more money.

And since that time, information from the Sonos CEO suggests that the rules might change, making the need to recycle/upgrade less desirable now. But some of us pushed that irrevocable magic button based on the infamous email that we all received. 

Claiming that we made our choice, so we should now live with it is disingenuous. I was formally explained of the impact on my system if I kept my old Play 5. If that formal explanation becomes invalid, I want to roll-back my decision to upgrade. 

I am not entirely familiar with how the trade up program was sold to you, or what formal explanations were given. And therefore to what extent the latest CEO letter contradicts these explanations.

Since the latest announcement I have however read media reports saying that Sonos promoted the trade up scheme “cleverly”; implying there that while it may not have crossed legal borders, it may have come dangerously close to doing that.

As to a workable remedy, I haven’t any to offer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I received my first trade up email about 3 months ago, had a look and didn't use it, basically as I was happy with my set up and thought the deal wasn't good enough.

Roll on to earlier last week I got the email again and in the read I discovered as many also discovered that I wouldn't receive updates if i left a legacy unit within my set up. This swayed me to upgrade. 

To now hear that there could be an option to keep updates going with legacy on board.…

Tricked! 

I fully understand the pain and even anger. I am honestly left being grateful that the trade up was not applicable to me in India; there are some advantages to being in a Sonos backwater to counter the slow release of things like Alexa integration that is still missing here. Although now it looks like that is also a good thing, I can integrate voice into Sonos via line in jacks on Sonos kit and get things on a legacied Connect Amp that Sonos cannot give anyone in the West, like album art for music being played.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Good to hear. The line in gives the option to add Google assistant for me. Once connected Google speakers and displays are added to room grouping. Plus the benefit of a smart display showing album art.

I very nearly went for the Google speaker this time but held back just on the fact that they haven't got a soundbar option quite yet. 

Once in place I think it's bad news for Sonos. Plus many disgruntled Sonos supporters within this community remembering this latest episode of money grabbing?

It is time to remind everyone here that is angry - be grateful that all legacy products have line in, and say: All hail, Line In…

Doesn't help those aggrieved by having traded in their line in jacks though.

Oops, sorry, wrong thread: this was meant for the general thread. Can one delete an entire post?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sonos have now answered this query that I raised with a 1st class responds and action.

Totally satisfied now and very happy at the level of customer support given from the team.

Fair play Sonos and that you for the call back from my email sent.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos have now answered this query that I raised with a 1st class responds and action.

Totally satisfied now and very happy at the level of customer support given from the team.

Fair play Sonos and that you for the call back from my email sent.

They replied to you via email? And what remedy have they provided?

I have been all in with Sonos for some time.

Currently sitting on;

4 Play 1
1 One SL
2 Play 3
2 Play 5 Gen 1
1 Play Bar
1 Play Base
1 Sub
1 Connect Amp

I’ve upgraded my bridge using the trade in and upgraded a couple of CR100 for a discount code. I felt both of those schemes worked well because if I chose not to trade in, the rest of my kit wasn’t affected.

However, this new scheme means I have to upgrade 2 x Play 5 and fork out £700 after discount to maintain the rest of my kit.

I appreciate the back track to allow me to continue to operate without updates, but when I bought the kit I bought in to the updates too and have been part of the beta program.

Here’s my point. I have asked myself what the best solution is for me and decided on the following;

Sell my 2 x Gen 1 privately. Use the proceeds to buy new 2 x Play One. In my circumstance I have enough the move speakers around and still have the performance i need in each room. I also have the flexibility to upgrade to stereo capability later by adding further ones.

It’s not ideal and after having spent £4k on kit I feel I have a right to be agrieved, but it isn’t the end of the world when I consider the inflexibility of my previous Linn system and how awful the Philips multi room system I tried was.

Maybe not the best thread to post in, considering the Trade Up program has, uhm, "evolved" since when this thread was started. It no longer requires the devices to be bricked.

You could now actually do both, get a 30% discount from your Play:5 gen1s and sell them privately. That's what I did. I was using them with their line-in as hugely overqualified PC speakers. Took 30% discount on a Beam, so now using that as an overqualified PC speaker. The proceeds from then selling the Play:5s meant the Beam did not cost me anything. N

I have another 30% discount left that I hope to put towards one of the products to be announced be g week.

Hi - That is really interesting.

Thanks for the clarification and correct. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The whole thing is a farce!

I took the 30 percent and went for a new play 5. Its marginally better imho. I've dumped a perfectly fine Gen 1 Play 5 and given Sonos my money, based on the fact that i was told my full system wouldn't receive updates if i keep a legacy unit.

Sonos didn’t announce that a system would not receive updates until about 5 days ago.  You entered the trade in program and got a new play:5 since in 5 days time?  

Just to add that there’s now backtracking talk and statements from sonos talking about keeping legacy units separate from modern units so updates keep going.

The latest talk is that Sonos would work it out so that you could maintain two separate systems in your home, one legacy and one modern. That actually isn’t backtracking as it was mentioned from the very beginning.  I have not seen any official annoucement stating Sonos would allow legacy and modern products to be in the same system and still receive regular updates.

I want my brick schedule revoked so that I can keep my old Play 5. 

Gesture of goodwill from sonos

The first announcement stated the legacy products WOULD NOT receive updates and would not work with new components.  Since that first announcement there was a wave of pushback that sonos reversed direction and said they would work with legacy products. Creating two systems. One legacy one new.

Some don't want to have two systems so they reluctantly upgraded, bricking speaker.

My problem is the waste.  A perfectly good speaker tossed because they wanted to add a mic for alexa capabilities. 

Sonos gets an F for being green. 

The first announcement stated the legacy products WOULD NOT receive updates and would not work with new components.  Since that first announcement there was a wave of pushback that sonos reversed direction and said they would work with legacy products. Creating two systems. One legacy one new.

Some don't want to have two systems so they reluctantly upgraded, bricking speaker.

Those who didn’t want to have two systems could leave their system as is and it would work just fine.  No need to brick anything.

My problem is the waste.  A perfectly good speaker tossed because they wanted to add a mic for alexa capabilities. 

Then you must be thrilled that the “bricking” policy was very short lived and now you can keep your legacy devices operating just as before. 

The only real grade Sonos receives is sales, and they happened to have doubled their market share in 1st  Quarter 2020.

Those who didn’t want to have two systems could leave their system as is and it would work just fine.  No need to brick anything.

Then you must be thrilled that the “bricking” policy was very short lived and now you can keep your legacy devices operating just as before. 

The only real grade Sonos receives is sales, and they happened to have doubled their market share in 1st  Quarter 2020.

How can I confirm that I get to keep the original piece of kit? It isn’t written in the T&Cs and Sonos have not responded to my message confirming this.

How can I confirm that I get to keep the original piece of kit? It isn’t written in the T&Cs and Sonos have not responded to my message confirming this.

The T&C were modified on March 9 so that they no longer include any statements about requiring recycling as they previously.  The absence of the legal language matters.

For further confirmation, I have traded in my Connect:Amp and still use it today.  Others can chime and confirm that you can still use your original.

The T&C were modified on March 9 so that they no longer include any statements about requiring recycling as they previously.  The absence of the legal language matters.

For further confirmation, I have traded in my Connect:Amp and still use it today.  Others can chime and confirm that you can still use your original.

Sweet. Thanks chap