Beware the Amazon Echo Dot scam before you buy!

• 16 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Badge
I am now the unhappy owner of two Sonos Play 1s falling for the scam of a "partnership" with Amazon allowing users to send music from the Echo to a Sonos Play 1.
Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!! I will be publishing more on my YouTube channel. I will also mention the junk software that other users complain about skipping to next song before the current song has completed playing.
Please feel free to see my review of the Play 1 versus the UE Boom 2 on YouTube.

Moderation Edit by Ryan S: Removed self-promoted youtube video link which is against community rules.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I can also just jump in real quick I'd like to make a couple things clear to everyone who visits this thread:
  1. It's not a scam.
  2. The Amazon Alexa device and Sonos integration is being worked on, and it'll be available later this year.
  3. The timeline for this development hasn't been announced but we'll be letting everyone know as soon as we're ready to share.
  4. The Dot isn't going to send audio to Sonos over Bluetooth.
This way this will work hasn't been published yet, but it's not going to be through Bluetooth. The Dot and other Alexa devices are all wireless too. The way their voice recognition works is that it records the audio you sent following the wake word and that audio gets sent up to the Amazon cloud wirelessly. That's then translated into commands and they're issued back down to the device via WiFi. No Internet, no voice control.

Once the commands have been translated some unannounced "magic" happens and your Sonos players will take it from there. You'll have to stay tuned for what this all means. Sorry, no spoilers today.
Are Hue lights Bluetooth? No.
Can Echo/Alexa turn on Hue lights? Yes.
Can it dim them? Yes.
Can it make them change color? Yes.
Can it turn them off? Yes.

Are Sonos players Bluetooth? No.
Will Echo/Alexa be able to start them? Yes.
Will it be able to change tracks? Yes.
Will it be able to make them choose tracks/playlists/stations? Yes.
Will it be able to pause/stop them? Yes.
Adjust volume? Yes.

Seeing the pattern yet?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Can a Sonos moderator please intervene to stop this nonsense?
ROFL

Yes. Never has one been so adamant, so obnoxious, so offensive, and so bloody blatantly wrong in a series of posts. It's really quite impressive.

Sonos does not stream from any sources!! Lets keep this as simple as the video (not simple like the third grade was on you) there is only a Sonos Play1 and a Dot! I did mention that you should have an adult watch the video with you.
Now if you have a Dot and you say "Alexa play the wiggles" she will respond with something like "shuffling songs by the wiggles" and THROUGH BLUETOOTH (I cleared up the zigbee bluetooth thing earlier for you) ALEXA WILL PLAY TO A BLUETOOTH SPEAKER!!! AFTER STREAMING THE SONGS TO THE DOT FROM YOUR HOME NETWORK THROUGH WIFI.
If you and your guardian watch the video it depicts the Dot playing directly to the Sonos Play1.
Your little third grade (after multiple attempts I might add) equation does not include where Sonos gets the content.

Sonos most certainly does stream from sources, directly from the source, in fact. Sonos players are pull based architecture. Their content is pulled from the source directly to the Sonos device, not pushed by the app. The app is just a controller, no stream either passes into it or out of it, it merely tells the Sonos units what to play, then the Sonos units pull it directly from the source.

Want me to prove it? Start a Sonos playing, either by radio or a music service. Then exit the Sonos app. Is Sonos still playing? Well, then turn off the phone/tablet. Still playing? Throw the phone/tablet out the window, dunk it in a fish tank, smash it with a hammer. Sonos still playing?

So now that you know how wrong you are about Sonos not streaming directly from sources, can you now see that Alexa will merely translate voice commands into the same commands coming from the Sonos app? It will simply be another way to instruct the self-contained streamers what sources to pull in and play.

Now you can go ahead and insult me again. You're only embarrassing yourself until a Sonos rep gets here to tell you the exact same thing I just said. Or you could back off on the insults and actually learn something. Your choice.
Userlevel 2
Wow. I want to thank you for your original post. It is rare I get this level of entertainment for free. As you can see, no one so far agrees with you on any point - but the night is young. You never know. Keep digging.

Now, between you and me, tell me the truth, are you really this clueless or are you doing a gag reel? Much like the guy with one karate lesson, you seem to know just enough to get yourself killed.

The well documented Sonos / Echo partnership has been in the works for well over a year. To bound in and make the ungrounded assessments you made, and then to double down on them, makes you look silly. Please go educate yourself on the platforms and the integration pathway before continuing to dig yourself in deeper.

We are all born ignorant. Some of us choose to remain so. That's what free choice is all about.

Please do continue to yell at the rain. I am enjoying your posts. Perhaps next you could educate on AC vs DC and why this is also a scam. Have a nice day.

Or, as the first poster replied, "whatever".
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sorry, I wouldn't trust you to give advice on buying a pet rock. You got more wrong about the product in a single post than anyone I have seen in almost 10 years posting here. Your "Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" statement as proof of an "Amazon Echo Dot scam" will go down as a Top 3 craziest things ever posted.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yes, this thread really is hall of fame quality.
Absolutely hilarious thread, even made me come out of retirement to post.

Got my first Echo dot today. Bloody Sonos, they have only gone and provided voice integration on my ZP100s, which were made back when voice integration was on Star Trek only. And then they have dared charge me the principle sum of nothing for this added functionality across my system. But the lazy buggers haven't bothered implementing the bluetooth protocol in my old hardware - just beggars belief really!

So that is voice control across 4*ZP100, 1*ZP80, 1*Play5, Playbar/Sub/2*Play1s, 4 more Play 1s all for nothing. Some of this stuff is 12-years old and is still cutting edge.

(Whatever happened to Squeezebox - that had Bluetooth didn't it?)

Although what is disappointing is that they have failed to implement some functionality that Alexa can't support right now 😉. Like permanently linking a dot to a zone to avoid having to instruct an action on a zone. I suppose if you have spent £200 on one Play1 you might not understand the multi-room thing and the need to address the where as well as the what.

Now does anyone want to put a bet on. Current version of Amazon Echo vs a 12-year old ZP100. Competition ends when one dies, becomes practically unsupported, or another 12-years is up?:D
There's never been any suggestion about sending music from an Echo to a Sonos. The joint development is of voice control.

A bit of basic research would reveal that Sonos doesn't support Bluetooth.

Oh, and if you have track skips you have network problems.
The original post here is a laughably incorrect and ignorant exercise in self-promotion.
It could potentially count as traffic-driving spam.
You really haven't grasped how this stuff works together. I'd encourage you to study the network architectures of Sonos and Alexa/Echo.
I am now the unhappy owner of two Sonos Play 1s falling for the scam of a "partnership" with Amazon

Subscribe and see what I have to say about the Amazon/Sonos scam before you buy!

Should you not be more tech savvy than what the above seems to suggest before explaining tech to others? And even so, the last place to do that is here, to people much more tech savvy than you.
Hue lights work off of zigbee which is BLUETOOTH!! Or BLE bluetooth low energy. The previous bluetooth is now called bluetooth classic. Alexa communicates to the network through WiFi and speakers and HUE BRIDGE through bluetooth.
Notice a pattern? cutie patootie.
Zigbee is 802.15.4 and bluetooth is 802.15.1
And yes you deftly pointed out what most people know: Alexa can communicate with the hue bridge which is in fact bluetooth.

Now get an adult and watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARbx4I3xZY&t=9s
You will notice the people in the room communicating with a Dot and a Sonos Play1.
Now after you have viewed the video (repeatedly like the third grade) you may ask yourself "where does this music come from?" There is only a Dot and a Sonos Play1 on the breakfast bar!
Pretty misleading video don't you agree?

Alexa is not going to stream to Sonos via Bluetooth, nor does it need to. Alexa will be issuing commands to Sonos via WiFi and Sonos will be doing the streaming on its own. Just like the communication between Alexa and the Hue hub, or the Sonos controller and Sonos players, Alexa will only be issuing commands which Sonos will then act upon to stream from its various sources exactly like it does today without Alexa. If you need it simplified:

Echo/Alexa == Controller
Sonos == Multi-room streamer

Now that you know how wrong you are, you may proceed to feel foolish, and apologize for you demeaning accusations and name calling. Admit you were wrong and delete your silly videos before you embarrass yourself any more.
Nothing from Sonos has ever officially stated first quarter. The official presser stated 2017. Thats all of 2017. There have been subsequent discussions here that stated end of this year. Your's or other's poor assumptions do not trump Sonos' official statements.

And sir, people replied "whatever" because you had no clue what you were talking about and seemed more intent on pimping your YouTube channel than anything else. "Whatever" was actually much more kind than what most were thinking. They were sparing you embarrassment. You should have taken their hint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We totally understand wanting a timeline. This is exciting work and we can't wait ourselves, but for now, we aren't ready to publish a timeline beyond availability this year. If there's any opportunity for beta testing or we're able to announce the time schedules we'll make sure to let everyone know, you'll just have to be patient.

I'll make sure the team knows you're interested and also I'll share your suggestion that we share more details on the timeline with the team that makes those decisions. Thanks for the support and we're glad you're excited too!
@Toolio, I agree with you whole heartily. With some of the responses that I'm seeing from my original enquiry other than @Rayan S who I would expect to see a company response (as he indicates he is SONO staff), there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution. I for one am happy that SONO is at least working on a DOT/SONO solution but moving from a position from earlier 2017 to sometime in 2017 doesn't instill any confides that the solution would be available anytime soon or are we awaiting for Christmas release...
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@ there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution.
That's typical of a select group in this community. There is Ryan, a nice person who has every right to behave like a Sonos employee because he is one. Then there is a small group of frequent contributors here who seem to have assumed the mantle of Sonos-can-do-no-wrong fanbois. At times they can be downright rude. I just put it down to them having too much free time on their hands, given that some have made thousands of posts here. It's why I frequent this community less and less. I find the tone of some members disturbing. Of course, the tone of some less participatory members can border on the absurd as well, as evidenced by this discussion.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.

Link please! 😃
Whatever... :8
Whatever
But just curious - are you really completely unaware of the true situation or are you trying to mislead?
Badge
But just curious - are you really completely unaware of the true situation or are you trying to mislead?
Okay, I'll go slowly for you.
The Sonos Play1 receives audio over WiFi (are you with me thus far?) the Echo Dot sends audio over Bluetooth (still following?).
In other words: The signal sent from the Echo is useless to the Sonos but Sonos is making a big deal about integration.
Have an adult watch this video with you.
https://www.slashgear.com/sonos-amazon-alexa-team-up-official-beta-this-year-30453866/
You do know the integration isn't ready yet, right? :8
The original post here is a laughably incorrect and ignorant exercise in self-promotion. It defies any reaction beyond Chicks' "whatever".

Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!

Well, duh! Guess you're the one person who didn't know this, or that it's completely irrelevant to the integration. :8