Beware the Amazon Echo Dot scam before you buy!

• 16 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Badge
I am now the unhappy owner of two Sonos Play 1s falling for the scam of a "partnership" with Amazon allowing users to send music from the Echo to a Sonos Play 1.
Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!! I will be publishing more on my YouTube channel. I will also mention the junk software that other users complain about skipping to next song before the current song has completed playing.
Please feel free to see my review of the Play 1 versus the UE Boom 2 on YouTube.

Moderation Edit by Ryan S: Removed self-promoted youtube video link which is against community rules.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Please have someone help you with my video. I chose the Sonos because it sounds better. That was obvious. Watch the video, have someone help you with comprehension then post.

Sorry, I wouldn't trust you to give advice on buying a pet rock. You got more wrong about the product in a single post than anyone I have seen in almost 10 years posting here. Your "Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" statement as proof of an "Amazon Echo Dot scam" will go down as a Top 3 craziest things ever posted.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sorry, I wouldn't trust you to give advice on buying a pet rock. You got more wrong about the product in a single post than anyone I have seen in almost 10 years posting here. Your "Turns out the Sonos is WiFi and the Echo Dot is bluetooth!!!!" statement as proof of an "Amazon Echo Dot scam" will go down as a Top 3 craziest things ever posted.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.

I bought two pet rocks recently. The more expensive one didn't even support touchless rollover. I was impressed by the IP68 rating on the cheaper model though. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY!!!

I'll be covering all of these stunning developments on my Youtube channel very soon.

Link please! 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeez, just read this thread, Seanorama the thing that strikes me most is really that you have quite a bad way of communicating with people - quite aggressive and condesending which would be hard to pull of even if you were a highly respected technical expert (which clearly isn't the case). It does set a bad tone from the offset, might want to just consider how you engage with others to get the most helpful information.
Badge
Oh no, I too have just read this thread.... my eyes are bleeding
This thread is really funny in a frustrating way.

To reiterate:

The echo will hear your command and send the command to the sonos speaker VIA the internet/wifi and NOT via bluetooth. Just wait for Oct 4th ok?
Userlevel 2
Just registered.
Hilarious.
Thanks Sean.
Yes, this thread really is hall of fame quality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yes, this thread really is hall of fame quality.
Absolutely hilarious thread, even made me come out of retirement to post.

Got my first Echo dot today. Bloody Sonos, they have only gone and provided voice integration on my ZP100s, which were made back when voice integration was on Star Trek only. And then they have dared charge me the principle sum of nothing for this added functionality across my system. But the lazy buggers haven't bothered implementing the bluetooth protocol in my old hardware - just beggars belief really!

So that is voice control across 4*ZP100, 1*ZP80, 1*Play5, Playbar/Sub/2*Play1s, 4 more Play 1s all for nothing. Some of this stuff is 12-years old and is still cutting edge.

(Whatever happened to Squeezebox - that had Bluetooth didn't it?)

Although what is disappointing is that they have failed to implement some functionality that Alexa can't support right now 😉. Like permanently linking a dot to a zone to avoid having to instruct an action on a zone. I suppose if you have spent £200 on one Play1 you might not understand the multi-room thing and the need to address the where as well as the what.

Now does anyone want to put a bet on. Current version of Amazon Echo vs a 12-year old ZP100. Competition ends when one dies, becomes practically unsupported, or another 12-years is up?:D