Question

Best Way To Recycle Old Gear From Storage

• 30 December 2019
  • 5 replies

I am looking to recycle an old Sonos unit I have in storage in order to get a discounted Port. All of my old mothballed stuff is on an older firmware version and I don’t really want to dig everything out to update that entire Household just to recycle a single device. My question is this: Is there a way to complete the recycle process from within an old firmware version using the PC controller or a CR200? If not is the only option to create a new Household with that one device in it in order to complete the process using current firmware?

I was going to simply take the unit to Best Buy to be recycled but they do not have any Ports in stock within 250 miles of me and will only sell the Port in-store… no online orders. There is no indication that they will get any in-store stock before the price increase on January 9th so I guess I have to find a way to trigger the process using the app.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Wire the Connect to your router. Download the current Sonos mobile app and choose 'connect to existing system'.  Go to Settings, Check for updates,, if not prompted anyway 

May work,  may not but will only take a few minutes. 

In fact sounds like you have a system up and running? You could factory reset the old Connect,  wire to router and add it to your current system and see if it will update.

If you wire it there is a better chance it will update from an older firmware version. 

Wire the Connect to your router. Download the current Sonos mobile app and choose 'connect to existing system'.  Go to Settings, Check for updates,, if not prompted anyway 

May work,  may not but will only take a few minutes. 

I could try that but there are several Housholds on my network. Will the “Connect To Existing System” option give me the opportunity to select the one I want when there are different firmware versions involved?

I think I would play safe and power off all Sonos except for one household that is on current software, if you have such a thing.

Factory reset the Connect,  wire it and try to add as a new device to that system. 

You can’t action the recycle from a Desktop controller or CR200. It must be an iOS or Android controller. 

Factory reset the Connect, wire it, and set it up as a new system. Use your current email. You’ll end up having to download an up-to-date controller, so consider carefully whether you can afford to overwrite one of your old ones. Maybe borrow someone’s phone temporarily.