Answered

best way to connect Play 5 to TV

Badge +1
Currently connecting my play 5 to my TV via Line-in cable to audio out.

The sound is good, but feels a little flat (less bass, lower volume) than when I play through spotify with WiFi.

Is there a better way to connect to the TV? I've got the sonos App turned up to 10 on the line-in options.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 24 May 2018, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Scanman

Line-in to Play 5 from Line-out on your TV is the only direct way to make the connection. If the line out from your TV has a variable setting then use it. At this point grab your Sonos controller and turn the volume to mid way. Next you can experiment with the TV remote to control the volume level being sent over the line-out and adjust the Play 5 accordingly using the Sonos app. You can also get to a point where you leave the Sonos volume level set and use the TV remote for attenuation or do the reverse using the Sonos app. I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Badge +1
Hi Scanman

Line-in to Play 5 from Line-out on your TV is the only direct way to make the connection. If the line out from your TV has a variable setting then use it. At this point grab your Sonos controller and turn the volume to mid way. Next you can experiment with the TV remote to control the volume level being sent over the line-out and adjust the Play 5 accordingly using the Sonos app. You can also get to a point where you leave the Sonos volume level set and use the TV remote for attenuation or do the reverse using the Sonos app. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Makes sense. Does the App being turned up to 10 effect the quality?
Userlevel 7
Hi Scanman

Cheers!

Makes sense. Does the App being turned up to 10 effect the quality?

It may be too loud. That's why I suggest you start mid-way on the slider and adjust accordingly. You might also adjust the bass, mid and high frequencies on your TV if possible.

Cheers!
Badge +1
So an interesting twist here... The problem isnt the connection, but the source.

When i watch cable TV (Timewarner/spectrum), the audio quality is quite bad via play 5

When I stream from my Fire TV, the sound quality is incredible. The difference is very very noticeable. Its the difference between a play 5 and what I play 1 sounds like.

Both sources run through the TV, and out the aux port to the play 5.

Why could this be?
Quick Question
My challenges is connecting a Samsung LED 65 inch TV to my pair of Play 5's for the TV audio. I appear to have the option to use the tv's digital audio out (optical) port only. I have the RJ's but the tv ports appear to be component in and have not worked (for obvious reasons). I have run through al of the typical set up options on the tv output and the Sonos app. Insights and support welcome.
OK, a question. What are RJs?

Since the only output on the TV is the digital optical output, you'll need some sort of device that changes the digital signal to an analog signal. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OND0N4

Note that I'm not recommending that device, there's probably several types, you need to pick which suits your needs. I just put the link there so you could see what type of device it is. Then you'd need to connect the RCA outputs from that device to the analog input on the back of the PLAY:5. Note that on all Sonos analog inputs, there's a 75ms delay, so the sound won't be in sync with your TV. This is one of the reasons that Sonos actually makes speakers designed to connect to TVs, the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and Beam.

In all honesty, you're better off not doing this, but it is possible.
I have a Play 5 and want to preserve the ‘digital’ sound quality when connecting to my Samsung TV (I also want to be able to control the volume of my Sonos Play 5 w my TV remote).

Would adding a Sonos Connect to my system achieve this? Would there be any degradation of sound quality and/or response time vs if I just purchased a Sonos Beam/Bar and made the digital connection directly? Will the Play 5 be getting a ‘digital’ input any time soon?

Any feedback is appreciated!
A Connect would add nothing of value to this. IMO it would be a complete waste of your money. A Beam would be a much better idea.

A cheaper option would be to run the optical out from TV to a DAC and into the Play:5. There will be a 70ms audio lag on the P:5 line in whatever the source.

Sonos never announce planned developments in advance. But I would guess that the chances of a digital input on the P:5 would be about a million to one against
The Connect would add a digital input..
No it wouldn't. It has only an analog input like the P5. The Connect has digital outputs.