Answered

Best configuration for a stable Move setup

• 25 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi all. 

I ran a S2 Sonosnet-based system in our home for some years with a Boost connected to ethernet on the middle floor of the house. All devices played smoothly and the matrix looked good.

A pair of Moves was then purchased for garden use. They set up fine as a Stereo Pair and connected etc... indeed, all seemed well.

However once out in the garden the Move unit which was furthest from the house experienced drop outs, freezes and general buggyness. I tried various things with wi-fi boosters and changing the wireless channel etc but to no avail.

Finally I reset the entire system and started again, this time omitting the Boost and running the whole thing as a wi-fi setup. Success! - all configured fine and now the stereo pair of Moves in the garden run without issue and I can take them further from the house than before.

So my question is this: because the Move relies on wi-fi and not Sonosnest, is it better to use a pure wifi setup for reliable Move performance, rather than one where the other devices are on Sonosnet?

Sorry to be so long-winded. Any thoughts / info / insights welcome.

Thank you,

WDW ☺

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 August 2022, 12:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

So my question is this: because the Move relies on wi-fi and not Sonosnest, is it better to use a pure wifi setup for reliable Move performance, rather than one where the other devices are on Sonosnet.

It shouldn’t matter either way. Did you specify different WiFi details when you set the system up afresh?

Thank you for the swift response, Ratty.

Good question, but the answer is no. Identical credentials were used for the rebooted system.

I suppose my thinking after I pulled the Boost and changed to the wi-fi setup was that the ‘mesh’ created by the devices would be of a pure wi-fi variety with no Sonosnet muddying the spectral waters - perhaps a better environment for a device which relies exclusively on wi-fi. Who knows.

The sad truth is that I always had a misplaced sense of smug pride at running my system on Sonosnet via the Boost. Keeping it off my main wi-fi felt very satisfying for some reason. Those sentiments are now in tatters - perhaps a wifi setup is the future!

Anyway, it’s all been worth it. Even a single Move is heavenly - but a Stereo Pair is simply divine. ☺

Thanks for the input and take care,

WDW

Assuming the Moves were on 2.4GHz WiFi it’s conceivable that the SonosNet traffic was somehow getting in the way. 2.4GHz WiFi and SonosNet need to be at least 5 channels apart, with the WiFi set for 20MHz bandwidth. Even with a 5-channel separation, close proximity between WiFi and SonosNet devices could potentially cause problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

….

Anyway, it’s all been worth it. Even a single Move is heavenly - but a Stereo Pair is simply divine. ☺

Thanks for the input and take care,

WDW

I must admit I have two Moves in a Stereo Pair that I set up in the garden in front of an easy chair.  I actually prefer them to my Two Play 5’s and Sub located in my Garden room.  They  are great units.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Does SonosNet use the speakers as WiFi antennas (this is how I understand it works?).

If so your router could have a stronger signal than the Sonos speakers and this is why it has improved range wise?.

I use my Move down the garden in my workshop (30 to 40 meters away from router) and it works fine.