battery outdoor speaker

• 7 January 2018
  • 9 replies

is songs planning to sell a battery based outdoor speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

They apparently did consider it in the past, and gave it up as a non-starter. Not sure I know why, could be not enough sales, or too hard to get a big enough battery to run a speaker, a computer, and a wifi card for enough time to make it realistic and sound good enough....or there could be reasons I don't have a clue of.

They don't tell us what they're working on, until just before they release it (for hardware, and often software, too), so it's entirely possible that they're working on such a device as we speak. But I'd lay money against it. While I do think there's a certain market for it, I don't think it's a large enough market for a large company like Sonos to be interested in it.
I would buy this immediately. I need one by my spa cause the others are too far away. Common Sonos!
I want to add my voice to this thread. I am a Sonos devotee and have 8 Sonos products. I recommend Sonos to everyone but the one thing that irritates me a little is that there is no battery powered Sonos portable speaker available. I understand Sonos has visited this issue before and resists the idea due to not being able to provide lasting audio quality when on battery power. I don't know why not? Bose, Sanyo and others including a a no name crappy Bluetooth speaker I bought when on holiday recently don't seem to have a problem with this. If they can do it, why can't Sonos. A battery powered speaker to take outside on the terrace, or near the pool that provides good audio for a few hours. Not much to ask is it?
Disappointed but still a loyal Sonos lover.
@Charlie747 Absolutely agree! I'm about to make a purchasing decision and I think I'm going to have to go with a bluetooth speaker because it's easily portable. I'd prefer to buy a Sonos One but the portability factor overrides the quality difference. Come on, Sonos! #featurerequest
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Spence mentions taking sonos outside the home:-
https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17644386/sonos-nasdaq-ipo-google-assistant-speakers-holiday-shopping
Thanks, that's great. The IPO is a good news story for consumers, because Sonos will be forced to compete & grow, which will mean a faster rate of new products & innovation.
Thanks, that's great. The IPO is a good news story for consumers, because Sonos will be forced to compete & grow, which will mean a faster rate of new products & innovation.

Careful what you wish for. I've seen companies that go public lose all innovation and simply go for the easy buck. All risk taking is stifled by the fact they answer to shareholders, not themselves. So it goes both ways. We will see with Sonos.
'going outside the home' could mean a lot of different things. Because Sonos had to create a cloud in order to use Alexa (and probably Google voice), it's quite possible that the Sonos app will operate outside your wifi network at some point. Doesn't necessarily mean there will a mobile speaker.

And of course, it could also mean they come out with a weatherproof speaker, maybe even one that's passive like any other outdoor speaker. A passive speaker doesn't really fit Sonos MO, but if it can be trueplayed when connected to a connect:amp, that might be a real selling point.