Bathroom Speakers Sonos definitely need to add these to the range.

• 23 January 2018
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Does anyone else think that Sonos need to look at some kind of bathroom speaker unit. As an electrician I realise that this may cause some problems mainly because of the fact that genarally speaking we are going to all be missing the main ingredient that is somewhere to plug it in, but maybe a low voltage system where a transformer can be remotely plugged in external to the bathroom or maybe just popped up into the ceiling like a lighting transformer would. I also realise that there is the Sonos connect amp but like me I’m sure that most people wouldn’t want to buy new speakers & then have to spend another few hundred pound in order to connect it to the Sonos system & just for good measure throw in some voice activation like Alexa.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi there, mike1726. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm happy to forward your request along to the team for visibility.

I currently use a Sonos One in my bathroom, before then I had a PLAY:1 in the Bathroom. Both of these units are tested for resistance to humidity. Even here in Sonos HQ, we have PLAY:1's in the Bathrooms.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Unfortunately we can’t have a socket in a bathroom, well we can but only away from water obviously & I wouldn’t really encourage anyone to do so as the last thing I want is customers asking me to start installing socket s in their bathrooms either. By the way when I’m refer to bathrooms I mean with a toilet,bath & shower not a “wc” toilet. This was the response I got from Sonos but I should have specified that I was actually talking about a ceiling speaker as especially in my bathroom I have nowhere to put a play 1 other than a wall bracket where as I do have a false ceiling with a loft access above my bathroom.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I fitted a Play 1 to a Flexson wall mount. Mounted it upside down away from the immediate viscinity of the shower, and took the plug off the power cable adjacent to the plug, drilled a very small hole for the power cable to pass through. Then wired on a plug and plugged it into a socket in my loft. If I didn’t have a socket there I thought I could have wired it into the lighting circuit in the loft. It draws a tiny amount of current.
It is high up, no chance of getting wet.
I did consider using a Sonos One to give voice control, but didn’t feel that the wall mounts available were as secure because of the lack of the screw attachment that is available on the Play 1, but not on the Sonos One. I just need to make sure it is playing before I enter the shower.
Delighted with the way it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You use a Connect amp outside bathroom to power speakers in bathroom.

Of course In US enjoying benefit of voice control with a Sonos one on vanity.
The UK needs to update their electrical code. The US allows/reqires GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupt) outlets within a certain distance from water sources. Got a Play:1 next to my bathroom sink, with no fear of electrocution.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The point I’m making is that although you can use a connect amp outside the bathroom that still means that we have to buy a set of speakers & then spend between £350 to £499 on the connect or connect amp you’d have to be outta your mind. So potentially you could be spending more or less the equivalent of what you would have paid on a play bar or play base.,As much as I like to listen to music as do my family whilst having a shower or bath it’s not £500+ worth. Most people would spend if you said between 10 & 20 mins in the shower. I would think the reality most people would probably be happy to spend about £200 maybe on something like a ceiling mounted version of Sonos one that would have voice activation so you can change music handsfree other than that I think most people would maybe not bother with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you would still need to run power to this hypothetical unit in ceiling. And I don't think with such limited market (not many people want to run power into their ceiling) - it would never hit the $200 price point. What would be difference in running power into ceiling and plugging in a Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
How do you know how limited the market is if it’s not yet manufactured . There are plenty of people that do bathroom speakers it just that it would be nice to get one that’s part of my existing system that’s cost effective. I suppose you could use a play 1 or Sonos one but for me personally I have a false ceiling like a high gloss pvc & rather than having to wall mount my speaker on a wall that is all tiled, I would then have to get the cable out of the bathroom. It’s personal preference at the end of the day& although I like to show off my Sonos speakers in this case for me it would be recessed & white.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm just looking at the Sonos One - which is a major seller and is that the $200 price point.

I would max think that the volume of a hypothetical Sonos ceiling speaker that was the same as the Sonos One but had to be mounted in ceiling (would sell 1 for every 100 Sonos Ones). I would think that would easily move the price point up to a comparable price to a Connect:Amp (which to me probably at the same 1 for every 100 point and actually probably cheaper to make then the Sonos One).