Answered

Bass is distortion on my play 1!

Badge
I have adjusted the bass and treble setting on the sonos equalise within the app and uncheck the loudness option but it does not change the bass distortion I hear during play back of some songs, in particular dance tunes. I have two plays 1's and the others fine, any suggestions.
icon

Best answer by Dominique Z 16 July 2014, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Make sure that the vibration is not originating from a nearby object. A trick, using basic physics, is to sharply strike a surface and listen to the reply. This strike is known as an "impulse". An impulse will excite the fundamental resonance of a mechanical system. Since it is very easy to start a system resonating when energy is introduced at the resonant frequency, music can be a pain because it is frequency rich. (but not as rich as an impulse because the theoretical impulse implies an infinite number of frequencies) This resonance can be very sharply tuned. If a musical scale is played, it is possible that one note will result in some sort of "buzz" while adjacent notes will not. If the replay emanates near the speaker, it is easy to mistakenly blame the speaker.

SONOS speakers, tend to put actual low frequency energy into the room -- real bass if you like. Many other speakers use some equalization tricks to make the human think that there is bass, but on an energy basis there is not much energy. The SONOS SUB is a prime example. I've used other subwoofers that add some bass, but don't excite the room. SUB, on the other hand, can easily excite the room. PLAY:1 can't put as much low frequency energy into the room as SUB, but if a nearby object is vulnerable ... . When the new PLAY:5 starts shipping, there will be more complaints such as this because PLAY:5 can pump a surprising amount of bass energy for a speaker of its size.

In my room, I was having issues with SUB exciting room resonances. As I mitigated these resonances, I would have appeared a little insane, walking around the room, bumping surfaces with my fist, but I was supplying the "impulse". As surfaces replied, I introduced some damping at that point in order to subdue the resonance. Windows, cabinet doors, and a few items on shelves were responding. Now, everything sounds much better in that room.
Badge
I tried the reset on the play 1 but the bass is still vibrating and distorted. I have reduced the treble and base on my iPod touch/ iPhone 5 and via the sonos app. This there a contact number I could phone to see if we can correct the issues. I wouldn't be able to send a diagnostic report as it's an internal hardware problem and not software.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Karen,

Is the PLAY:1 the only speaker you have? Do you own any other Sonos device? 

If you do NOT own any other Sonos components do not try the following troubleshoot. 

If you own other speakers (PLAY:1's, PLAY:3's, PLAY:5's, CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, PLAYBAR), try the following troubleshoot:

Factory reset the PLAY:1

Please submit a diagnostic if you are still experiencing the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I tried the reset on the play 1 but the bass is still vibrating and distorted. I have reduced the treble and base on my iPod touch/ iPhone 5 and via the sonos app. This there a contact number I could phone to see if we can correct the issues. I wouldn't be able to send a diagnostic report as it's an internal hardware problem and not software.
Hello Karen,

If you still hear an issue with the sound the next step would be to call us directly and we can assist you further. We will also ask for a diagnostic from the unit so that our developers can take a deeper look as well. 
Badge
That's fine I'll ring on Thursady. Which number do I use? I can see from the link there are numerous ones and don't want to waste time and money finding the correct support network.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Karen,

You will want to contact our Customer Care Team. +1.800.680.2345 toll free (US)
Badge
Is there a CCT based in the UK.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Karen,

Here is our contact info for the UK:

0808 234 6596 toll free

Mon, 9am to 5pm UK Local Time
Tue - Fri, 9am to 8pm UK Local Time 
Sat, 9am to 5pm UK Local Time
Hi, i also have one of my Play:1 vibration on the bass.. have tried to factory reset it without luck. what to do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would wait on true play tuning coming out in next few weeks and see how performs then.
Thank you buzz, I'm not sure if banging helped, but I will definetly look into hanging my Play1 speakers, as the surfaces on which they sit are vibrating.
Hi Kaz,

What was the outcome of your story because it looks I have a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.
Badge
Click here for more information please and thank you: https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/trueplay-bass-distortion-on-play-1-6733388/index7.html#post16207648