Bass cuts out

The bass is intermittently cutting out on my S5, is there a fix or update?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. I'm not seeing much in your diagnostic report to explain why this happens. It would be best to continue troubleshooting this with our phone team. Please give us a call, your can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello
Any updates from Sonos on this? Mine started doing it after couple of years. Cuts out, sometimes cuts back in (i think when i crank the volume); do i really need to call sonos or mute/unmute? Hope its a software issue they can fix.

Hi Pivver,

Usually when the bass cuts out like this it is due to wireless interference or other network issues. To be sure, I'd like to take a look at a diagnostic report from your system. Please send in a report then reply here with the confirmation number.
Hello
Any updates from Sonos on this? Mine started doing it after couple of years. Cuts out, sometimes cuts back in (i think when i crank the volume); do i really need to call sonos or mute/unmute? Hope its a software issue they can fix.
Userlevel 2
Came to this thread after googling for the same issue. Whilst I was reading, I tried muting and un-muting my S5, which appears to have fixed the issue for now. (I won't put money on this being a permanent fix - the "topical relief of symptoms" is what they call it on pharmacy medicines.)
Thanks for your answer.

I called the support, we made a factory reset, for now bass are back, wait & see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi, I've recently just experienced this with my Play 5. Loss of bass at low volume and when I turn the volume up it comes back. Is there a fix?

Hi,
SInce 1 month, I have exactly the same issue.
No other solution than call the support line ?

Thanks

Your contract is with the retailer from whom you purchased the Play 5 - You have 3 choices:-

1) Do nothing
2) Contact your retailer and request they remedy - they may offer a replacement, refund or repair. In the UK the retailer are entitled to attempt a repair (In reality this would mean sending the unit back to Sonos)
3) Contact Sonos directly. This will have the benefit that they would be able to ensure that your system was set-up properly and identify that the Play 5 is indeed faulty. If it is and it is within warranty they will replace it.

The ball really is in your court. But I will say that not only are Sonos support extremely helpful and knowledgeable they will also not try and wriggle out of their contractual obligations, indeed there are many mentions of them replacing units foc even when out of warranty.
Hi, I've recently just experienced this with my Play 5. Loss of bass at low volume and when I turn the volume up it comes back. Is there a fix?

Hi,
SInce 1 month, I have exactly the same issue.
No other solution than call the support line ?

Thanks
Have you contacted Sonos

Yes, they had me try a factory reset which didn't remedy the problem. Now I'm waiting further reply. I mean, the support guy was very helpful and I've no idea how expensive it'll be so it could turn out all fine and stuff but I doubt it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you contacted Sonos
People don't come on to say "My Play:5 is working fine" I would say the defect rate is very low and have never seen any wide spread issue with the Play:5.

True, it's very likely low. But it's also not everyone with a faulty units who will bother logging on to a community site to complain. Only the indignant ones. 😛 Something I admittedly only became once I realised my warranty had run out and that there seemed to be a lot of people over many years with the exact same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
People don't come on to say "My Play:5 is working fine" I would say the defect rate is very low and have never seen any wide spread issue with the Play:5.
I think it’s just one batch of Play 5s that have this issue

Regards

Aruna.

A very big batch. I've been experiencing the same problem lately and after searching the net there's threads about this dating from 2010. If Sonos is aware of a faulty batch where Play 5 units are experiencing hardware failure I really don't see how they can charge for a repair/replacement even after the warranty runs out.
Hi - I first experienced this issue with one of my Play 5 units back in June 2013.  Sonos replaced it under warranty and it was working well until last week, when the replacement unit starting experiencing the same issue!  I now have to have it replaced and Sonos has issued an RMA but my issue is that they are asking me to pay USD162 for the replacement.  I believe this is a product related issue and that I should not be charged.
Hi Steven

Sonos replaced my Play 5.  I don’t think there is anything like the Sonos solution on the market today – the ease of use, the way I can effortlessly stream music to different rooms, the updated app on my Android and iOS devices, the proprietary way they are all connected and sync’ed together… I even have my Benchmark Audio DAC/Luxman amplifier connected via a Sonos Connect (it’s got a digital output that I feed the DAC with).  I think it’s just one batch of Play 5s that have this issue.  Other than my issues with one Play 5, I am a very happy customer!

Regards

Aruna.
Hi - I first experienced this issue with one of my Play 5 units back in June 2013.  Sonos replaced it under warranty and it was working well until last week, when the replacement unit starting experiencing the same issue!  I now have to have it replaced and Sonos has issued an RMA but my issue is that they are asking me to pay USD162 for the replacement.  I believe this is a product related issue and that I should not be charged.
Hi Aruna, how did Sonos rectify the issue? I also believe it is a manufacturing issue as it is so widespread. I was out with my warranty and they wanted £100 to replace the unit. I have 5 Sonos components and had no issues until now. Seriously considering cutting my losses and moving to another wireless system if this is their idea of customer service.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Aruna, 

Looking up your history it looks like we were able to take of this issue with you. If you have any further questions or issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I've been suffering from the same problem. The bass appears not to work at all any more - adjusting the bass on it doesn't change the sound at all. Is there a fix? Thanks, Jamie
Hi Jamie,

I'd recommend giving us a call and we'll be happy to discuss this with you.
I've been suffering from the same problem. The bass appears not to work at all any more - adjusting the bass on it doesn't change the sound at all. Is there a fix? Thanks, Jamie
Was there any fix to this issue?
I have been experiencing it on both my play:5's.
Don't remember if it has happened on the play:3.
If I raise the volume the bass "cuts in" again.
Is it a common issue?
Any specific batch of play:5's that is affected?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have exactly the same problem now. It was fine but it's not anymore.
Hello User548057,

I have created an incident for you regarding this issue, please give us a call when you get the chance we'll be happy to take a look at this issue for you.

Reference number: 141113-003189
I have exactly the same problem now. It was fine but it's not anymore.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

Based on the issue you are experiencing, I'd recommend that you call into our support line so we can further assist you with this issue.