Question

AV/Receiver to CONNECT: what audio out to use?

• 22 January 2017
  • 2 replies

We are building a wireless system with Sonos and started with the Play:5. I have a collection of vinyl and CD music that I want to be able to play via my turntable and CD player. I have a slightly older Technics SA DX940 receiver. I understand I can run my CD player and turntable into my receiver, as before, and run the receiver to the analog in of a CONNECT. But what audio out of the receiver should I use? Or do I need an intermediary item - a switch box or similar? Or an adaptor of some sort? Photo of inputs/outputs of the receiver is attached.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Have you had any success? I'm looking at doing a very similar set up. Many people are saying to plug in a single analog device to the Connect and then send audio back to the receiver to use wired and Sonos speakers.

My idea is to think of the Connect working like a tape deck where I have the receiver getting all the analog inputs and then I use the Tape Rec (Out) to send analog signal to the Connect (to be broadcast wirelessly), and Tape Play (In) to get the streaming audio from the Connect to the receiver. This means you would have to switch the receiver to Tape in order to hear Spotify, etc on the wired speakers, which some people think is a hassle, but if you're already getting up to flip records then you're fine with switching inputs.

Would love to hear if this works or what you've found!
I haven't actually tried what you are proposing but I believe others have and it certainly sounds like it should work.

As you hint at in your post, an alternative is to use ripped or streamed tracks rather than CDs, internet radio, and just run the turntable through the Connect line in