Answered

Audio to PLAY:1 via a silent PLAY:5 possible?

• 6 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi,
I own two Sonos PLAY:1's: one my living room, one in my bathroom. Just as most Sonos customers, I like it very much. And just as most Sonos customers, the lack of sending any audio to the speakers is forcing me to stop buying more ...
To play the audio from my television, I could buy the Playbar/Playbase. A more advanced (and costly) Sonos speaker with line-in (e.g. PLAY:5) could handle my Mac's audio via an AirPlay dongle.

But my question is: Would it then be possible to play audio from my Mac on only one PLAY:1, but not on the PLAY:5? While the PLAY:5 just streams from another source to play audio.

Kind regards,
Sander Fiers
icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 September 2017, 15:47

The line-in source is playable from any and all Sonos devices. You can even use it as a source on your other speakers while the device with the line-in connected is silent, or playing another source.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The line-in source is playable from any and all Sonos devices. You can even use it as a source on your other speakers while the device with the line-in connected is silent, or playing another source.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Cool, isn't it?

We use this all the time with an Airport Express (which we was in situ prior to Sonos), connected to a PLAY:5 line in, to send content via Airplay to any (or all) of our speakers. The same with a turntable connected to the line in of another PLAY:5.
Badge
Thank you very much for the replies, it's very clear now.

Although just like many others here on the community I am a bit disappointed ...
Buying a PLAY:5 and an Airport Express, just to have my Mac audio on my Sonos system is a bit overkill. Especially regarding the price (+/- 500+100 EUR). I fully understand Sonos devices are not designed to be computer speakers. But ... when having a house equipped with multiple and awesome Sonos PLAY:1's, it's a pity to buy separate speakers just to play audio from a device that's already WiFi capable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you very much for the replies, it's very clear now.

Although just like many others here on the community I am a bit disappointed ...
Buying a PLAY:5 and an Airport Express, just to have my Mac audio on my Sonos system is a bit overkill. Especially regarding the price (+/- 500+100 EUR). I fully understand Sonos devices are not designed to be computer speakers. But ... when having a house equipped with multiple and awesome Sonos PLAY:1's, it's a pity to buy separate speakers just to play audio from a device that's already WiFi capable.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to have native AirPlay support. I'll hallucinate that Sonos's resistance to this is at least partly that it adds potential unreliability that they'll then have to support. If they included AirPlay, people would expect it to work as well as the rest of the Sonos features and would complain if it didn't, even if the root cause is just down to the way that AirPlay works. AirPlay is also an Apple only thing, and Sonos seems to have a general posture of not favoring one platform over another.

While AirPlay generally works OK for me (to an Airport Express and an AppleTV), it's nothing like as solid as standard Sonos streaming. AirPlay 2 may have a more robust implementation, in which case Sonos could revisit supporting it.

Having said all that, Sonos has never claimed to be an AirPlay (or Bluetooth, or Computer) speaker system, so any disappointment we have has to be seen in that light.