Answered

Are they discontinuing the play 5 second gen or the sub

• 18 December 2019
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

Hi there 

just wondered if the play 5 22nd generation was been discontinued along with the sub 

the reason i ask they are on offer at incredible prices and after  missing out on the play 3s when they were discontinued im a bit suspicious 

have you heard anything that would support my suspicions or are they just a great deal

Many Thanks n 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 December 2019, 20:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Zero indication. More likely good sales around the holiday season, trying to move product. 

Badge +1

Thanks Bruce for your speedy response 

just wanted to check as the offers are amazing and much better than the offers of the last 2 years 

so I was a little suspicious 

Thanks again n

Jump on those sales! Happy Holidays!

Where are you seeing the play:5 on sale?  The sub is on sale on the Sonos site, but not play:5.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I actually did just take advantage of the sale, for 2 One SLs at $129 each. I was tempted by the Sub at $550 but I also wondered if it’s approaching EOL because I’ve never seen it that “cheap”. What I’m hoping for is a new Sub that allows itself to be shared/switched among rooms (maybe it stores Trueplay tuning data for each group or something), so you can use it with for 5.1 tv sound but also with music without doing weird grouping/ungrouping/retuning. And is not glossy, matches better with the modern One/5 matte finish (hopefully a white option). And hopefully not more than $600 but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

I personally doubt that the Sub will ever be usable in the way you describe, but nobody knows.

Those One SL prices sound a bit too good to be true, although US prices always sound cheap to those of us in the UK.  Where did you buy from? Are they Sonos authorised, because that could affect guarantees?

Please don’t post a link.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I personally doubt that the Sub will ever be usable in the way you describe, but nobody knows.

Those One SL prices sound a bit too good to be true, although US prices always sound cheap to those of us in the UK.  Where did you buy from? Are they Sonos authorised, because that could affect guarantees?

Please don’t post a link.

Yep, legit. Cyber Monday sale in US. I got them through Amazon, but that was the official sale price available directly from Sonos, also B&H Photo and Best Buy. $129 One SL, $149 One, $399 Play:5, $319 Beam, $559 Playbar, Playbase, and Sub, and $419 Amp. As I said, I was very tempted by the Sub, but passed on it, mostly due to the aforementioned inflexibility of servicing 2 different groups.

Nice prices. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Nice prices. 

Yeah, I was really tempted to get at least 4 One SLs at that price but I have to keep the wife thinking I’m not insane so maybe next sale I’ll pick up a few more. Really happy with a pair for $258 though, I’ll either use them for 5.1 surrounds with existing Playbase, or maybe 1 in kitchen and 1 in bathroom. Of course I wrapped them up so I have to wait until Christmas day.

Scored a couple of Play 3s the other day at my local department store… Not gonna say the price, it was so scandalously low I had to ask the salesperson twice! I really feel the 3 is underrated. I’ve been running a stereo pair with sub for many years… very satisfied, This is coming from an ex B&W, KEF Reference, Carver, Oracle guy. 

Badge

Scored a couple of Play 3s the other day at my local department store… Not gonna say the price, it was so scandalously low I had to ask the salesperson twice! I really feel the 3 is underrated. I’ve been running a stereo pair with sub for many years… very satisfied, This is coming from an ex B&W, KEF Reference, Carver, Oracle guy. 

…. and what department store was that? I was under belief that retail sales of Play 3 speakers ceased years ago. There must have been years-worth of layers of dust on those precious retail boxes. Not doubting you - hoping I can find them locally somewhere in the dark corners of my “department store”!