Answered

Another Play 3. Wrong move?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi everybody!
Was debating should I sell my Play 3 and get two Play 1's. At the end, I bought a used Play 3 🙂 Shippment in a few days.
A few questions:
Did I make a good choice?
Is the Play 3 still a good speaker, compared to newer Play1 and Play5?
Really how good do they sound in stereo?
How do I trueplay them when in stereo mode?
Will the two Play 3's on the opposite corners of my room provide enough power to fill my 50 square metres of open space? (One Play 3 must be turned out pretty loud to do so. I am looking for evenly spread sound across the room.)

Thanks

Neven
icon

Best answer by Chris 3 April 2018, 14:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I still believe the Play:3 sounds better than a single Play:1 (more low end) but a pair of Play:1s sounds better then a single Play:3

I always say I believe a Sonos system should always start with a Play:5 because it gives you an input in case of any need for music source outside of the sonos core provided.

two Play:3's situated near corners of room will give you some very good sound. I have found the Play:3 sounds best near wall in corner as it really radiates from there.

You pair them and then the app will ask you if you want to perform trueplay (has to be from Apple device).
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I still believe the Play:3 sounds better than a single Play:1 (more low end) but a pair of Play:1s sounds better then a single Play:3

I always say I believe a Sonos system should always start with a Play:5 because it gives you an input in case of any need for music source outside of the sonos core provided.

two Play:3's situated near corners of room will give you some very good sound. I have found the Play:3 sounds best near wall in corner as it really radiates from there.

You pair them and then the app will ask you if you want to perform trueplay (has to be from Apple device).

Thank you Chris!
I plan putting both of my Play 3's in the corner, near the wall. For now, my single Play 3 sits on a shelf and has empty space behind. And it still sounds good.
Cheers
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Guys, it's here! Another Play 3! I am over the moon!
As staeted, setup took literally less then 2 minutes. And I've tried stereo pair them. Sweet. the best part is, I did not even trueplay them yet (my son makes a lot of sweet noises).And my wife learned to group, ungroup, and all in a few moments. Sonos for life. My next goal is Playbar or Playbase.
Best
Neven
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are pretty loud aren't they - two play:3s (especially close to wall where low end will radiate) are darn powerful.

I have a pair in my garage currently. 3 car garage and neighbors would probably complain if I tried turning them up all the way considering how loud they can get.

You mentioned grouping and ungrouping. Do you have some other Sonos speakers in house (what are you grouping - since these 2 play:3s are a single stereo zone).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As staeted, setup took literally less then 2 minutes. And I've tried stereo pair them. Sweet. the best part is, I did not even trueplay them yet (my son makes a lot of sweet noises).And my wife learned to group, ungroup, and all in a few moments. Sonos for life. My next goal is Playbar or Playbase.
Best
Neven

Congrats, I have both play 3 and sonos 1. The play 3 paired are a very good setup for larger rooms. I use them in my living as it just works better then my pair of ones in the bedroom.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
They are pretty loud aren't they - two play:3s (especially close to wall where low end will radiate) are darn powerful.

I have a pair in my garage currently. 3 car garage and neighbors would probably complain if I tried turning them up all the way considering how loud they can get.

They sure are loud, but may goal was to "flood" the room with sound. Shear volume is not my top priority.

You mentioned grouping and ungrouping. Do you have some other Sonos speakers in house (what are you grouping - since these 2 play:3s are a single stereo zone).

Both P3's are in the same large room in oposite corners, more than 7 metres away. I've tried putting them closer and made them into stereo pair. It sounds nice, but I don't want to restrict listening to one sweet spot. So I moved them much further appart. I just named one room white and the other room black (refering to the colour of the speakers). Then I group the white with black and enjoy 🙂 And as I have said, I still need to trueplay them!
I plan to buy a playbar or a playbase to be my main device for movies and TV, but have to here one in person. My main concern is poor dialogue, as stated in numerous posts.

Thanks for the reply

Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Best
Neven

Congrats, I have both play 3 and sonos 1. The play 3 paired are a very good setup for larger rooms. I use them in my living as it just works better then my pair of ones in the bedroom.

My wife likes the 1's, but I am glad I went with larger and frankly, better speaker. I can imagine a playbar and pair of 1's, though :-)
Best
Neven
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nothing wrong with Playbar and Play:3s!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Nothing wrong with Playbar and Play:3s!
Last time I listened to the playbar( w/out a sub), i wasn’t that much impressed. I will listen to playbar and playbase once more and compare them to my qacoustics m4. Even if they sound a bit worse, i will buy either a playbar or a playbase, but no sub, to expand my sonos family. In the other hand, if the dialogue is muffled, it will be a deal breaker.
Neven
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Inhave heard that the playbase is better then the playbar when it comes low end and using without sub. I only have the playbar so can’t compare but that is what most everyone says.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I have the Playbase and don't have any issues with dialogue. On the contrary, in Bladerunner 2049 there is a key piece of dialogue that I couldn't catch without the Playbase. Without it, with just the TV speakers, I had to rewind a couple of times to pick it up, with it I could just make it out.

The Playbase has a ported sub that I find adequate. Don't feel the need to get the sub.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I have the Playbase and don't have any issues with dialogue. On the contrary, in Bladerunner 2049 there is a key piece of dialogue that I couldn't catch without the Playbase. Without it, with just the TV speakers, I had to rewind a couple of times to pick it up, with it I could just make it out.

The Playbase has a ported sub that I find adequate. Don't feel the need to get the sub.

These are very good news. And, did you have to crank the volume up to hear/understand it?
Neven
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
No, I new it was coming and I could make it out. I've had no issues with dialogue with the Playbase. Even just dialogue sounds richer compared to the TV speakers let alone music etc.
Userlevel 1
I have two Play 3's on my computer desk. They double as monitor stands 🙂 Total overkill, but the sound quality is amazing and I love it. I was quite surprised how much a difference running through the Trueplay process, but it was definitely worth it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I have a pair of Play:3s in my master bedroom, and a pair of Play:1s in my kitchen. I really can’t decide which is better. Placement matters - the kitchen speakers are in little cubbies which I think helps the bass dramatically, while the bedroom speakers are on a fireplace mantel, so no assist from room acoustics. What you listen to matters too. I heavily favor vocal jazz, especially female vocalists and bebop, which all are rewarded with great midrange and highs, which the Play:1 excel at. Certainly the Play:1s enjoy the best dollar/SQ ratio in the Sonos lineup.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
No, I new it was coming and I could make it out. I've had no issues with dialogue with the Playbase. Even just dialogue sounds richer compared to the TV speakers let alone music etc.
Thank you
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I have two Play 3's on my computer desk. They double as monitor stands 🙂 Total overkill, but the sound quality is amazing and I love it. I was quite surprised how much a difference running through the Trueplay process, but it was definitely worth it.
I will have to trueplay them. Also, my current setup is loudness on, I may turn this of when I pass the trueplay. One of the speakers is near the wall, in the corner, and the other sits on a shelf and has a large window on the left of it. i must say I can notice the difference, the one in the corner sounds much fuller. When i get my playbar or playbase, the second play 3 will also go in the corner. I don’t mind for the surround (or maybe will add one’s later ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I have a pair of Play:3s in my master bedroom, and a pair of Play:1s in my kitchen. I really can’t decide which is better. Placement matters - the kitchen speakers are in little cubbies which I think helps the bass dramatically, while the bedroom speakers are on a fireplace mantel, so no assist from room acoustics. What you listen to matters too. I heavily favor vocal jazz, especially female vocalists and bebop, which all are rewarded with great midrange and highs, which the Play:1 excel at. Certainly the Play:1s enjoy the best dollar/SQ ratio in the Sonos lineup.
I was debating what to get. The second play 3 was better choice. My room is really large but play 3’s do a great job.