Allow to group the volume control to the hardware buttons on the Sonos unit!

• 24 February 2014
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a Play1 on my counter in the master bath and now added and complimented with in ceiling speakers and grouped with a Connect Amp located in the closet. I want to group the volume control on the (easy to reach) Play1 instead of pulling out a smartphone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I just bought a third play 1 to fill out my room, only to find that i can no longer use the hardware volume control i have been for several years. It's super annoying i can't control the volume of the group via the hardware buttons, or add my new play 1 to the existing room.
The hard volume control has never controlled group volume. Ever.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think a lot of people have more than just one speaker in the same room and cant´t see whats the problem to add this feature? Not very logical that two players are controlled by the bottons and not the third.. This thread are 3years old and still no progress? Just add an option to link a player to another player or a room just like the stereo pairing or the sub.
This will give the option to the users to choose to permanently link speakers in the same room or to use it like today.

SONOS: You have to understand that the users have different kind of needs and you have to give the users some options to choose and not do all the choosing yourself.
The hard volume control has never controlled group volume. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, I realise this is the case, but the way it works makes it so much less appealing to have more speakers in my system. As much as I want more speakers to fill out my system, the loss of the hardware volume control makes it much less appealing to add additional speakers.

I'm just super bummed out about my purchase, because I've always used the hardware volume control for my original two Play 1 pair and sub.
Please add this as an option. It makes no sense to me to control volume of individual speakers if they’re in a group.
Please add this as an option. It makes no sense to me to control volume of individual speakers if they’re in a group.

Funny, it makes perfect sense to me. If I want to crank it up in the bathroom in order to hear the music over the shower, using the hard buttons on the device shouldn't blast out the rest of the house. If I want to actually increase the volume in the group, I must use the app. As always YMMV, but for myself (and I assume others) the current way is more logical.
using the hard buttons on the device shouldn't blast out the rest of the house.

That’s why in the first sentence I said it should be an option. Individual volume control makes sense if speakers are in different rooms. Group volume control makes more sense if speakers are in the same room or connected rooms.
using the hard buttons on the device shouldn't blast out the rest of the house.

That’s why in the first sentence I said it should be an option. Individual volume control makes sense if speakers are in different rooms. Group volume control makes more sense if speakers are in the same room or connected rooms.

I'm afraid Sonos isn't big on options. They are many things, but being flexible with user options is not one of them. Not saying that is good or bad, just saying that's their way.