Allow to group the volume control to the hardware buttons on the Sonos unit!

• 24 February 2014
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a Play1 on my counter in the master bath and now added and complimented with in ceiling speakers and grouped with a Connect Amp located in the closet. I want to group the volume control on the (easy to reach) Play1 instead of pulling out a smartphone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Gerard, 

this is not possible as the hardware buttons only relate to the physical Sonos Player, not it's role in a group. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Userlevel 3
I think this is an idea, I think
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
When you say that this not possible...Do you mean it's never possible or that the software does not support it currently?  Is it technically possible as a feature enhancement in the future?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
When you say that this not possible...Do you mean it's never possible or that the software does not support it currently? 
Hi Gerard, 

from experience I would say this should be possible as it is a software matter. That is why I turned your question into an Idea for others to back your request. 
Userlevel 1
When you say that this not possible...Do you mean it's never possible or that the software does not support it currently? 
Yes! PLEASE add this to the next software update. It is a HUGE issue by us, having a pair of Play1's grouped with a Connect in same room and really need to have this physical volume control opportunitiy as it is a hassle to open the app every time you need volume adjustment for whole group. This should be a software selection which you could just turn off and on as you like. PLEASE Sonos, do this before your competitors ;-) 
Please DO NOT DO THIS unless it is an option rather than default behavior. as somebody who regularly runs 8 or more zones in a group it would cause complete chaos if somebody in a given room should decide to change the volume and it disrupted listening in other areas.
Please DO NOT DO THIS unless it is an option rather than default behavior. as somebody who regularly runs 8 or more zones in a group it would cause complete chaos if somebody in a given room should decide to change the volume and it disrupted listening in other areas.
agreed. not a great idea for large systems.
Userlevel 1
Agree, it should just be an option. Just as you can connect the Subwoofer to a pair of Sonos, you should be able to volume-connect more speakers/pairs in one room. I guess I'm not the only one having more speakers in one room than just a pair, who would like to control volume in that particular room with the volume buttons without always starting op the remote app. Hey this is anyway also possible in the app - volume control for all group or seperate. Why not make it the same with physical buttons Sonos? Seems like just a software add on?
Bump. The option to do this would be extremely useful. The mute button actually DOES behave like this already... it mutes the entire group. Having an *option* to lock each zone's respective levels and then allow the hardware buttons to control the entire group would be extremely helpful without always having to launch the app, wait for it to find the sonos system, then slide the volume... a process that takes about 10-15 seconds for such a simple operation.
Bump. The option to do this would be extremely useful. The mute button actually DOES behave like this already... it mutes the entire group. Having an *option* to lock each zone's respective levels and then allow the hardware buttons to control the entire group would be extremely helpful without always having to launch the app, wait for it to find the sonos system, then slide the volume... a process that takes about 10-15 seconds for such a simple operation.
If it's done, it should mandatory be an option. See the fuss and confusion that was caused by the CHANGED funcion of the Mute-button!
Yes the mute button is an example of a change is still causing huge problems for a lot of people.
Userlevel 1
Please notice that all of us whishing for a hardware group volume option are saying OPTION, NOT default as is the case with the mute button change. It would make no or little confusion to add this as an option in group settings. Why not make it? How could this bother anyone? We are different type of users, with different needs. As mentioned, the mute button is ALREADY grouped, why not make volume a hardware group OPTION?
Please notice that all of us whishing for a hardware group volume option are saying OPTION, NOT default as is the case with the mute button change. It would make no or little confusion to add this as an option in group settings. Why not make it? How could this bother anyone? We are different type of users, with different needs. As mentioned, the mute button is ALREADY grouped, why not make volume a hardware group OPTION?
I understand you are asking for this to be an option (which would be fine) but because of Sonos' track record with the mute button I don't think it is possible to restate this too many times. It is for their benefit that it keeps getting repeated.
Definitely want to see this added as an optional feature
Badge
This would be killer. I've got roommates that watch my TV which has a 5.1 Sonos system, for example, and it would be great if they could use just the playbar hardware buttons to change the volume when I'm not around to change it for them.
Userlevel 1
+1 would be great to have the option to control group volume from the speaker buttons.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I second here, I have 2 Play 5 mark2 in stereo and one Play 1 set at a lower volume (spread in the same room).
If I press the button on the actual speakers it will mess around with the balance that I had set between the 2 Play 5 and the Play1.
Instead I have to reach at my Phone/Tablet to set the volume without changing the balance - it's not practical and requires too many steps (unlock the phone, launch the app, and press the dedicated volume button of these devices).

If this functionnality could be added in the setting ,and not by default, as I understand that its not the liking of everyone here, it would be great.

Thanks !
YES! Please add this feature as option.
Badge
Yes please! +1 from me. Option to make volume controls on a grouped Sonos component adjust group volume.
This would be a nice to have if being a configurable option. We generally control the volume of the speakers and have them all grouped such that we would always want to change the volume of the entire group.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I would love this functionality as long as it is an option. I like the way the mute is grouped. It's great when your phone rings but I could also see how folks wouldn't want it grouped for volume hardware buttons.
+1 for this having just created a big open-plan downstairs with multiple players. Any update or is this even under genuine consideration from Sonos?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
-1I have speakers that I do not want in the group.
+1
But I realise that making this a straight-forward option is tough. Hence all the negative reactions.
Actually I'm now in the process of configuring a Raspberri-Pi with some physical buttons to achieve this. Primary reason is I want to be able to switch input (for a group) to line-in if I put on a record (vinyl). But then I also want to be able to control group volume from that same spot without the need for my mobile. It's gonna take some tinkering, some soldering and some money, but i'll make it happen.
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list of people who would love have the OPTION to control the volume of multiple speakers (not just the "stereo pair") from the buttons on a single speaker. Like the original post, I have a Play1 on my kitchen counter and a "stereo pair" of Play3s in the adjacent living room. I want to control the volume for all three speakers from the (easy to reach) Play1 instead of pulling out a smartphone.

I see this as an option under "room settings" (like "create stereo pair") where you "create volume group" (allowing the volume buttons on any one of the grouped speakers control the entire group)... I'm no software engineer, but this does not sound unachievable for the company that invented the best wireless audio system available to mankind...