Allow audio output on Play:5 simultaneously through built in speakers and headphone output

• 27 February 2013
  • 5 replies

I wish I could select the audio output on the Play:5 to come out through its built in speakers or the headphone jack from the controller so I can keep my headphones plugged in. It would also be great to be able to have audio come through both at the same time!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
The inability, when using headphones, to allow the user to chose between muting the Play 5 or leaving it with sound is particularly troublesome. This is primarily because the jack is in the back of the player. Of necessity, I have to place my Play 5 on a high shelf. It is terribly annoying to have to climb up on a stool, turn the player around and plug in each time I want to use headphones. I'd like to leave the headphones plugged in because they are wireless and I could leave the base next to the Play 5. I assume this is a hardware limitation, but if not a software alteration allowing this choice from the controller would be much appreciated.
Badge
It would be nice to be able to select to enable/disable the output audio port from the app. There are times I would prefer to listen to music from the sound system and other times from the Play-5 itself.
Userlevel 1
Yes - it would make much sense to allow Play:5 NOT to mute speaker sound when headphones are plugged in.

1) Plug is not easily accessible when placed in the back of the device.

2) Sonos should have been the first to realize that people who buy Sonos would also bee candidates to use wireless headphones. Then it would be nice to have the base plugged in permanent.

3) A CONNECT seems the only option for having a sense making usage of wireless headphones even in a household with multiple play:5's, play:1's, PlayBar. A little turnoff when already have spent ~5000€ on Sonos gear.

4) The PlayBar has no line-out ( more on this later)

Love the "global" concept of the play:5 line-in, where our Sonos setup is not limited to a central monolith, but all connected "extras" can be heard on all Sonos devices. E.g our son (three years old) was also equipped with a play:5 in his room and supplied it with a CD-player (line-in) as he enjoy the shuffling of CDs (and do not understand a controller yet). If the game shift to another room; he can still bring "his" music with him.

THE CANDY :)
An implementation of line-out just like line-in would be really cool. The household could have one or more wireless headphones. The wireless base(s) would be permanent plugged in wherever convenient and could be brought into the tv-room or any other place in the house, listening to any Sonos source (library , radio, line-in, TV, etc.)
***The headset should appear as it's own device (just like another Sonos player) ****

Grouping headphones with other players should be allowed, but not sure if that should be default behavior... headphones is kind of personal and it would make less sense to be impacted by the another persons desire for turning up or down. On the other hand I would easily imagine the older kid and a friend listening to "loud"music shuffling playlist on Spotify where "sync" would be preferred. (I read a request for syncing ungrounded players listening to the same radio stream without the need of grouping the players - something similar is is needed in this case)

And now the PlayBar.... Maybe it is just in my household, but I often find myself having a desire to listening to music in the living room while the kid is watching children's television (with headphones), or wants to pull the sound from the news running on the television to the kitchen while the kids wants to listen to music in the same room as the TV. The PlayBar made my TV Sound accessible around the house and have given new life to my music DVD's, but stole the option of watching TV with headphones ( maybe just my Samsung, but has same stupid feature of blocking other outputs when inserting jack in headphones)
****BTW: TV source should be an accessible "global" source just like other line-in's****

I do not expect that you implement all the candy, but please at least make "mute-on-jack-in" optional.

Thanks 🙂
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want to be able to play music through the play5 and have the headphone jack used at the sames time.. When plug the headphones the play5 speaker stops I want to be able to use both at the same time
I want this so that I can use play:5 and stereo system simultaneously for super good surround sound.