Question

Alexa, Sonos One doesn't work if moved to another room. Should be an easy solution?

• 24 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Found several older threads but not exactly what I'm looking for. I have a new Sonos system working perfectly in my family room but I want to occasionally move 2 or more speakers into another room. I tried moving my 2 sonos ones into another room, waited until the lights stopped blinking and called for Alexa. Says "Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding, try again later". Later doesn't help. If I use the app to play music, the system in my family room plays but not the moved sonos ones. If I move them back into the family room, they work normally, Alexa works, plays music. What has to be done to move the sonos ones and have them play in another room? Wifi's fine btw. System consists of a Playbar, Sub and 2 Ones (adding a Play 5 soon).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I cannot account for your problem. What I can say is that it is perfectly common to move speakers to another room and have them work normally. There has to be something in the local conditions causing this.
Can you just confirm. How many speakers do you have, how are they named, and how many are you moving?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Do you by any chance have a second router configured as as access point or any other access point/repeaters/signal boosters in the house? Are you using regular wifi or SonosNet to connect your Sonos speakers? If you’re not using SonosNet try it.
Badge +1
I presently have 4 speakers, a Playbar, Sub, 2 Sonos ones. One wireless router. In my Apps "Room settings", they're shown under "Family Room" (+SUB+LS+?)". From what I was told, one should be able to just move the Sonos ones into another room and they should just work but that's not happening yet. For whatever reason, they seem to need proximity to the Playbar setup, to be in that room only.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yes, it should work. I do it frequently, although I don’t own a Playbar. I’d still experiment with SonosNet on and off to see if that makes a difference. If not, contact Sonos support, who are very helpful.
Badge +1
Sonosnet?
According to the Apps tips, one is suppose to be able to just add a room when playing music, etc but Im not getting that to happen. I'll call their support # tonight.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
SonosNet is the dedicated wifi network Sonos creates for itself, which many people find superior. To do this one of your Sonos devices must be connected via ehthernet cable to a router. Explanation here. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/SonosNet
Badge +1
OK, got an email response back from tech support. The problem is because these 2 speakers are bonded to the Playbar as surround speakers. To change that, I need to go to settings, room settings, "remove surrounds". Anyone here know if I'll then be able to easily reverse that move, like will I then see "add surrounds" after doing that? Haven't tried yet and don't see that as an option now. I will normally want these 2 as surrounds for my TV.