Question

Alexa

• 24 January 2017
  • 20 replies

Hi guys
When will full Alexa compatibility be available?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I just bought a Play:1 and I am quite disappointed to find out that Echo Dot is not compatible. Please update on the timeline for full integration.
If you take a few moments to look at the other myriad of threads on this subject, you'll find that Sonos will not reveal a timeline. Developing software is a difficult process, and promising a date is not always possible, since it's dependent on successful code being written, and then tested. And if a particular code path doesn't work, you have to go back and redo it. And if beta testers (if there are any yet, I've no idea?) run into issues, then they again have to go back to square one.

Frankly, it's unusual for Sonos to have announced that they're working on it. They've give an estimated date of the first half (I think, I'd have to go find and reread the former CEO's comments) of this year. I'm sure that they're as anxious as we are to get it out to the public, it will be, in my considered opinion, an outstanding step forward for them.
Airgetlam is right, Sonos has said pubilically that integration will come out in early 2017 but not exactly when. Can't wait!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Answers above are all correct. I just find it strange that you bought a Play:1 and assumed it already had Echo compatibility. Strange ... what speaker does have Echo compatibility that would have made you think that? As far as I know Sonos should be the first or one of the first.
Triby, Jam Voice and Echo. None has the sound quality of even a Play:1, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Echo is Alexa to start. Triby and Jam Voice are Alexa Echo copies brought to market as alternatives. They aren't existing speakers with Alexa compatibility added - not apples to apples at all. Those are all Alexa speakers so you would very well yes in those cases assume they have Alexa.
I cannot wait for Alexa support. I now find myself using Alexa way more than my Sonos because it is so convenient. I do however love the sound quality from my Sonos so when I am not feeling lazy, I will pull out my phone and use the app. I now also find that my wife and kids never use Sonos because of Alexa. So, cannot wait. I am heavily invested in Sonos with at least 9 speakers throughout my home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do agree for spur of the moment song playing Alexa is great. It doesn't replace need for controller for setting up longer plays lists. The combination of the two with Sonos quality will be great.
I do however love the sound quality from my Sonos so when I am not feeling lazy, I will pull out my phone and use the app.
And to think we used to first turn the CDP+Amp on, pick a CD, insert it into the player and only then would music start playing, with a new CD to be inserted every 60 minutes or so! And let's not even go to the vinyl side of things:D
I do however love the sound quality from my Sonos so when I am not feeling lazy, I will pull out my phone and use the app. .
Good grief! How do you manage to get out of bed in the morning? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do however love the sound quality from my Sonos so when I am not feeling lazy, I will pull out my phone and use the app.
And to think we used to first turn the CDP+Amp on, pick a CD, insert it into the player and only then would music start playing, with a new CD to be inserted every 60 minutes or so! And let's not even go to the vinyl side of things:D

Was going to say. Bought my first Amp, turntable and speakers in 1985. Carried those Heybrook HB2s around for nearly 25 years!
Airgetlam is right, Sonos has said pubilically that integration will come out in early 2017 but not exactly when. Can't wait!!!
Lately they have backed away from saying "early 2017" and instead say " later this year". Don't know if that indicates an actual schedule slip or if it is just different phrasing.

Lately they have backed away from saying "early 2017" and instead say " later this year". Don't know if that indicates an actual schedule slip or if it is just different phrasing.

Actually, Sonos has never stated "early 2107". That was an assumption due to the start of beta being announced for late 2016 and the usual development cycle. The actual quote from the press release is

"The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017."

No mention of "early 2017" at all. Though we (including myself) assumed it meant early 2017, there was some discussion at the time about the vagueness of the date and that it was not as specific as we assumed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos have mentioned Audible coming on stream...was it June? Must be linked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Possibly
jgatie, thanks for the correction. I suspect I was indeed being hopeful, when I should have been factual.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I cannot wait for Alexa support. I now find myself using Alexa way more than my Sonos because it is so convenient. I do however love the sound quality from my Sonos so when I am not feeling lazy, I will pull out my phone and use the app. I now also find that my wife and kids never use Sonos because of Alexa. So, cannot wait. I am heavily invested in Sonos with at least 9 speakers throughout my home.

I'm in the same boat -- I use Alexa WAY more now, especially since I can connect bluetooth from my phone and listen to things I can't through Sonos. Also, I can listen to Audible books through Alexa and can't (easily) through Sonos.
Badge
If you have a Play5 or a Connect you can attach a Bluetooth receiver to the 3.5mm jack and control it from Alexa. Unfortunately Sonos didn't fit 3.5mm jacks to all their products for some reason known only to them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I think it's okay to select a track via voice control, but that surely limits any resultant selection to whatever is within your mind at any particular moment, unless you just want some form of random play or radio selection?
I can't see how it can compete or overtake the enjoyment of just flipping through a wide ranging album or track selection on my iPad controller and thinking "I've not heard or listened to that for a long time or I just forgot I had it"!
Badge
Its so you can say things like "play The Beatles on sonos in the bedroom" or "play my Playlist on Sonos in the lounge". Convenience.