Question

Alarm Group - Controlling Varying Volumes

• 20 February 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
When I start up a Zone with an alarm, my Play:1 is at a volume that is way beyond comfortable. Since it is linked in a Zone, it seems there is only one master volume for the alarm in this linked group. I know I can change the level after it turns on, but by then the music is already slamming hard on this Play:1 speaker. I am worried that damage will happen to it in the long run. How can I set the alarm volume lower for this particular Play:1 speaker? For this setup. I do NOT have the option to un-link it and the volume level for the other SONOS devices in this group need to stay where they are. Is there a way I could set a MAX volume setting on a particular speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Michael, 

when setting up the alarm on the PLAY:1 you do have a separate volume slider just for the unit itself. 

Enabling the option "Include grouped rooms" should not have an effect on the volume set for the PLAY:1. 

Are you sure the alarm is set for the PLAY:1 itself and not for another member of the current group? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Userlevel 1
Hi Daniel,

I do not see a separate slider for PLAY:1 in the alarm when I have enabled "include grouped rooms". We have 4 different SONOS devices that are grouped for this alarm, and I've never seen a separate slider for volumes until AFTER the alarm kicks on. By then it is too late as the volume is already blaring.

I've looked at the alarm settings maybe 200 or 300 times - been using it for several years. Maybe that is the problem. I am overlooking something obvious. Where in the alarm (scheduling) can I set anything but a single volume control. I just don't see it.

As per your last question, I do not even see this option when setting an alarm for a linked group. There is only one volume for me. I cannot set any of the individual SONOS devices until after the alarm triggers.

I would love to be corrected and shown something that is right in my face. I would be so happy and so would the person whose room that speaker is in :)

Thanks for any help,
Michael
I'm having the same problem.  In Alarm group all zones start off at the one volume setting.  You can adjust after the alarm but that's not workable.  Does not looked like you were able to answer.  Any update? 
Userlevel 1
Hi Michael, 

when setting up the alarm on the PLAY:1 you do have a separate volume slider just for the unit itself. 

Enabling the option "Include grouped rooms" should not have an effect on the volume set for the PLAY:1. 

Are you sure the alarm is set for the PLAY:1 itself and not for another member of the current group? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Someone from SONOS got back to me with a fairly sanitized reply that didn't jive with what I was seeing on the alarms. As you can see from their posting, they seem to think that when a group or zone is set up that you can still set individual volume levels on the alarm. However, just as you noticed, you can only set a master volume for the alarm, and then change individual volumes after the alarm is triggered.

I received no further reply from SONOS on this topic after I corrected them on their suggestion.

I tried contacting their support directly, and they came back with almost an identical reply. I told them that this was not possible, and they came back with a reply that said it is not a feature at this time, but they would look in to it. blah, blah, blah... You know how it goes. That was at least a year ago. Never heard anything further.

Sorry to disappoint.
Userlevel 2
Is there any news regarding this "issue"? This is a big issue for me, and for others that using zone alarms. Pleas Sonos, fix this.