Airplay play 1

• 27 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello

My setup in my livingroom is two play-1 and a playbar which is all connetcted to my tv..

I would like to play Music from YouTube via AirPlay directly to this system..  

i know that this is not possible but if I add two one sl as frontspeakers - and then group it all together - will this then work as one unit and play whatever I want to play through AirPlay?

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

AirPlay is not available on Sonos speakers that are set up as surround speakers. But if the One SLs are just acting as a stereo pair, you can group them with any other Sonos product in your system for multi-room playback.

Read more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

Okay - but if I add two one sl as frontspeakers..  so the setup would be playbar  -  2xplay1 (surround) in the back and then two One Sl as frontspeakers…   and in one group “livingroom”  - is it not going to play together as i group egen though it’s AirPlay?

Userlevel 7

You cannot add any more speakers to your Playbar/Play:1s 5.0 channel setup other than a Sub (or two Subs). If you added a pair of One SLs, they would be a different zone in the same room. You would AirPlay to the pair of One SLs zone and then group them with your Playbar/Play:1s zone.

FYI, in TV Mode you will experience a slight audio delay from the pair of One SLs with this grouped setup.

Okay thank you.. a sub is on the way…🙂

i thought it was possibly to group 2 front speakers, two rear speakers with the playbar for a “real” surround experience… 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7

The Playbar already includes the front left and front right channels of a 5.1 setup, so adding two more front speakers would be redundant.

That explains it..  thank you for the fast and precise answer..

mayby the solution is to convince my wife to replace the play 1’s with two new ones :-)

thanks

Userlevel 7

The Ones won’t sound any different than the Play:1s. The difference is mainly cosmetic.

And remember... AirPlay is not available on Sonos speakers that are set up as surround speakers.

However, you could get a Sonos One, set it up as a separate room, and use that as an AirPlay 2 target. That speaker/room could be grouped with any of the rest of your Sonos rooms, and they could all play that AirPlay 2 signal.