Answered

AirPlay issue on new Sonos One

• 12 September 2020
  • 21 replies

Badge

I just got my first product, a Sonos One. The speaker does not appear as an AirPlay option. Additionally, even though I have set up the speaker through the app, on the AirPlay screen in the app it shows “no compatible products found.”

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 September 2020, 22:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is it definitely a Sonos One and not a Play 1?

Badge

Yes. It’s a Sonos One (Gen 2) that says Apple AirPlay on the box. I got two of them. Same issue with both. It also doesn’t allow me to add them in the iPhone Home app. 

And it has to be set up as a Sonos speaker first, before it will show up as an AirPlay 2 speaker. It will not show up as one right out of the box.

Badge

Yes. I set up up through the Sonos app. I can play Spotify through it via the app. 

What source are you trying to AirPlay 2 to it? Have you tried different apps?

Badge

Yes. I’ve tried both the Apple Music and Podcast apps. They simply don’t show up as options. 

Seems odd, and doesn’t make much sense to me, either. What are you using to AirPlay 2 from, a Mac, or iOS device? What version of the OS is it running? If it’s an iOS device, which one is it?

FWIW, I’m using AirPlay 2 right now from the Apple Music app on an iOS device running iPadOS  13.7.

Badge

I’m using an iPhone Xs with iOS 13.7. 

Badge

I don’t understand how it’s not even showing up as a compatible product within the Sonos app. 

Ah., if it’s not showing up in the Sonos app, it’s not yet visible on your network, and AirPlay 2 wouldn’t be able to find it either.

Have you tried temporarily wiring it directly to your router with an Ethernet cable? Once it shows up in the Sonos app as a valid ‘room’, then you could try AirPlay 2. That would get us a step closer, at least. Then we can work on why it’s not being recognized by the Sonos app when wirelessly deployed. 

Badge

I don’t have an Ethernet cable available. I set up two separate speakers at this point with the same issue. The speakers populate in the Sonos app and work for embedded content like Spotify. 

I don’t understand how it’s not even showing up as a compatible product within the Sonos app. 

I don’t understand this statement, then. Compatible with what? Can you show me a screenshot of this? If it’s showing up in the controller app as a room, how is it not compatible?

This statement might make more sense if you had said it’s not showing up as a target device in the Apple AirPlay 2 app…. as it is, I’m not sure anymore where we are. 

Have you tried unplugging both speakers from power, then rebooting your router, and once the router recovers, plugging back in the Sonos speakers to power? It’s just a guess, but it sure sounds like there’s an issue with Apple seeing these Sonos Ones, and a software reboot of both the speakers and the router might clear that up. 

Beyond that, I’m going to have to suggest that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you. 

Badge

Here are screenshots. What I meant was that in the Sonos app under System the speaker shows up as a product. But when I click on Airplay under System Settings in the same app, it says “no compatible products found” despite literally listing a compatible product connected on the prior page. 

Have you performed the three reboots in the order I recommended?

Badge

Yes. No change. 

Then I just don’t know what the issue is. It’s easy for me to say ‘it works for me’, but that doesn’t help you. I would recommend both submitting a diagnostic, and calling Sonos directly. 

Badge

Thanks. I just figured it out. I found that there was an update available (for the speaker?) in one of the apps sub menus and now it works. 

I’m having the exact same problem. Weird thing is, it works perfect from my wife’s phone. We have the same phone. I’ve checked for updates as well.

I’m having the exact same problem. Weird thing is, it works perfect from my wife’s phone. We have the same phone. I’ve checked for updates as well.

@will.yoakum I am having the same issue. Did find out a solution?

I kept unplugging and resetting everything. After an untold number of resets, it works. 

I’m having the same issues and have tried the same steps (power cycling the speakers, network, phone, checking for updates etc.) the Spotify app can find the speakers, the Sonos app finds the speakers, it’s just the Apple system that doesn’t see them anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!