AirPlay 2 when?

Userlevel 2
Badge
So iOS 11.4 is now released to the public. When can we expect it on the Sonos line?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Good question! I want to know too.
Same Time, Next Year. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, SONOS please tell us when we can upgrade to take advantage of airplay 2!!!!!
Badge
++1
Would like to know too. Seeing as we have waited best part of a year for Airplay 2, I hope it is soon
This is what the official message is from Sonos... I think quite a lot can be gleaned from these two links:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay

https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay2-coming
Userlevel 2
Badge
Really? October? Sonos better address this now since 11.4 released
Really? October? Sonos better address this now since 11.4 released
No, it’s talking about last October 2017. It gives no date for this year, but lots still to be gleaned from those 'official' posts.

I think we have to remember that Sonos have perhaps had to wait for Apple to finalise things too before they can commit resources to complete their own development. Apple had already previously pulled Airplay-2 from iOS 11.3

I guess now that Airplay-2 is officially released, Sonos can get to work on it. I wonder just how long it will take them? It’s really anyone’s guess!
Don't forget the whole "testing", as well as "beta" process once they've written the code. It would be bad for them to release a half baked implementation, just to satisfy the "we need it right now" crowd.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Don't forget the whole "testing", as well as "beta" process once they've written the code. It would be bad for them to release a half baked implementation, just to satisfy the "we need it right now" crowd.
I'm having a hard time accepting that Sonos and Apple haven't already got this working and just needs tweaking for release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm having a hard time accepting that Sonos and Apple haven't already got this working and just needs tweaking for release.

Why?

What makes you think if it was all ready to go and all tests completed that Sonos/Apple would just sit on it?
...And here's me thinking that Sonos was working on improving voice services with better 'ducking' and 'grouping' of speakers with Alexa and then I thought they might move onto Google Home and then along would come AirPlay-2 later.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

There seems to also be a big announcement coming on June 6th too, but that looks like it's possibly a new PlayBar according to some recent news stories online.
Badge
The way Apple presents the iOS 11.4 update, they are already listing the supported Sonos devices as compatible, as if they already work with Airplay 2. So this isn't true? I'm not home so I haven't been able to test it myself.
No, it surely doesn't already work with Sonos. Sonos would have announced it, at least on these forums at a minimum. As far as Sonos being listed as compatible before it actually is, I look at that as a sign that the legal/contract part of the integration has been worked out. I doubt Apple is just letting any company into the Airplay program, as they surely want to make sure the experience is good and perhaps some money is exchanging hands. Afterall, the Airplay badge is likely going to help sell some Sonos units. So in short, it's not surprising that Apple and Sonos announce that there will be airplay integration before it actually happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will announce this with some Fanfare for sure. It isn't just going to slip in under the radar. Also, they are going to test it until it pops.

And then they are likely to test it some.

Being realistic this is a new version of Airplay for Apple and something totally new for Sonos. It's a long way from being trivial and knowing Sonos they will want to ensure, as far as they can, that it works.

For what it's worth my view (and it's just a guess) is that it will be later rather than sooner.
Badge
True. But Airplay 2 has been available for a while in 11.4 beta so if Sonos indeed has a licensing agreement with Apple they've had plenty of time to do testing.
Badge
However, according to The Verge none of the speakers on Apple's list are working today except Apple's.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Why?

What makes you think if it was all ready to go and all tests completed that Sonos/Apple would just sit on it?

That is not what I said though, is it?

Play2 is a mutually pretty big deal for both companies. Especially, I think, Sonos. I have only a couple of Sonos Play 1's as a stereo pair but I already feel Sonos are glacial at this stuff. I seriously think Sonos are in danger of being left behind technically, which would be a shame.
I just wanted to point out that if you only have a pair of PLAY:1s, you're not going to be able to use AirPlay 2, without purchasing another piece of hardware. From what I've gleaned from Sonos' announcement many weeks ago, you'll need a Sonos One, a PLAY:5 gen 2, or a PLAYBASE in order to be able to receive the AirPlay 2 signal. Then your PLAY:1s could be grouped with whichever speaker is "receiving" the signal, and play what you want.

I think the issue that many of us are responding to is the multiple times that Apple has pulled AirPlay 2 from a release. We infer that it means that they had to do additional work on the process, which might potentially break anything that Sonos might have been working on. We're assuming that Sonos would defer any effort until Apple said "yes, it really is final", so we think Sonos might not be as far along as we'd all hope.

That is not what I said though, is it?

Play2 is a mutually pretty big deal for both companies. Especially, I think, Sonos. I have only a couple of Sonos Play 1's as a stereo pair but I already feel Sonos are glacial at this stuff. I seriously think Sonos are in danger of being left behind technically, which would be a shame.

I can show you hundreds of post going back thirteen years that stated "I seriously think Sonos are in danger of being left behind technically" or some other such doom and gloom scenario. Ironically, one of the biggest onslaught of such proclamations was when Apple released Airplay 1. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thank you for the perspective. I had thought I would be able to play my Apple Music account directly to my Play 1's rather than through the Sonos app using Air Play 2. If it turns out not to be the case I think I'll may well sell my Sonos gear before I get too deep into it. I also want Google Home integration. I can only wait so long while the competition moves steadily forward compared to the seemingly glacial progress at Sonos.

The next week or so could prove make or break for me and Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thank you for the perspective. I had thought I would be able to play my Apple Music account directly to my Play 1's rather than through the Sonos app using Air Play 2. If it turns out not to be the case I think I'll may well sell my Sonos gear before I get too deep into it. I also want Google Home integration. I can only wait so long while the competition moves steadily forward compared to the seemingly glacial progress at Sonos.

The next week or so could prove make or break for me and Sonos.

There's NO turning out to see if Play :1s will support Airplay 2 - The will NOT

Now if you mean Sonos:1s then that is a different story
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thank you. My Sonos gear could well be on eBay by the weekend then. I'm regretting buying into this now. There are so many much more flexible alternatives now, I feel I need to move on. When I bought into Sonos I had no idea I was buying into a technical dead end. Everything I read here suggested the opposite in fact. Very disappointed at this outcome.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Thank you. My Sonos gear could well be on eBay by the weekend then. I'm regretting buying into this now. There are so many much more flexible alternatives now, I feel I need to move on. When I bought into Sonos I had no idea I was buying into a technical dead end. Everything I read here suggested the opposite in fact. Very disappointed at this outcome.

I always ask this question. What would be your replacement for Sonos???
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Something that I can integrate with Google Home, Apple Homekit and the latest high quality Bluetooth technology that Sonos appear to pretend doesn't exist. Something I can stream directly to without being forced to use a basket case OEM app like the Sonos one. If I could continue to use my pair of Play 1's with Air Play 2 I would forgive the other stuff but it seems I made a bad decision buying Sonos. As per the brand, well, I need to bring myself up to date with what is out there.