Airplay 2 Support

Userlevel 1
Delighted to see AirPlay 2 support annouced. However, bubble well and truely burst by twitter support confirming it only works on newest devices - the play5 gen 2, and play base.

Can this be explained further, is it :

(i) Only new devices will support AirPlay 2. So if I have 6 Sonos speakers, 2 of which are play5:gen2, only those 2 will show as airplay speakers?

Or

(ii) You need at least one compatible device in your ecosystem, which acts as a bridge for older devices. So in scenario above, as at least one play5:gen2 is in the mix, all speakers are available.

I am crossing everything that it is (ii)... or there will be a lot of very unhappy people!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Question - I have a living room setup with the Play Bar, Sub and Play:1 for surround sound. If I replace one of the surround sound speakers with a Sonos One, do you think I will be able to take advantage of AirPlay 2 for the living room setup?
Question - I have a living room setup with the Play Bar, Sub and Play:1 for surround sound. If I replace one of the surround sound speakers with a Sonos One, do you think I will be able to take advantage of AirPlay 2 for the living room setup?
I believe if you have them all grouped, yes. I have a couple of Sonos Ones, but I have a connect attached to an old amp down in my basement that is tied into my outdoor speakers. I don't want to group the kitchen one with the outside speakers just to get Airplay 2 to work. So I took an old Airport Express (not the first generation, which means it should also hopefully support Airplay 2) and have it as a line in to the Connect, just in case. I'm hoping that will allow me to use Airplay 2 for both ones, the connect, and all of my apple TVs that are currently hooked into my theater setups. Fingers crossed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’m sure I saw somehwere on this forum that with the announcement of the new sonos Beam that the Sonos software would also be updated to supoort Ap2 (viw compatibole play devices), i think the Beam is available on the 17th - so is there a date for when the software uodate will be available. i’d assume that fir the Beam to work for existing customers - that the update would land a few days before the Beam ships. Any more info on that available? Applogies if already asked and answered on on of the other Ap2 threads. There are so many itnis hard to keep up! 🆒