AirPlay 2 Playback Bug

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
When using AirPlay 2 with any music streaming app or the native iPhone Music app, playback is stopped when adding a song to the queue.

Immediately after hitting “play next”, playback stops and has to be manually resumed.

Anyone else experienced this bug? Seems intermittent and random.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Bump for this thread - needs addressing by Sonos!!
I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Although I do have to wonder if this isn't a bug with Apple, and not with Sonos. But a diagnostic might help them track it down, so it's worth a shot.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Bump AGAIN for this thread.

Why has nobody from Sonos even acknowledged this???

C'mon guys......it's a major flaw.
Probably as you haven’t submitted a diagnostic, and posted the number so that they can take a look at your system, and figure out what might be happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
A diagnostic would be great, as Bruce suggested. Go ahead and get this to happen again, and then send a diagnostic and let us know the number please.

Also, to clarify that last part of your question, are you putting tracks in the Sonos queue using the Sonos app, which is causing playback to stop?

Would you mind sharing some more details about what you're seeing?

With an AirPlay 2 stream going to a Sonos room, adding tracks to the queue using the Sonos app shouldn't cause what's playing to stop for any reason. However, when the AirPlay 2 stream stops because it's out of tracks or any other reason, it also won't automatically start playing what's in the Sonos queue. AirPlay 2 playing to Sonos is treated like a radio station or other stream, it's not using the Sonos Queue, so that queue won't come into play until you turn it on, by hitting play.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi Ryan

I am using the stock music app on the iPhone 8 using the latest iOS software. This also happens when using other streaming apps. It does not happen when using the stock Sonos app (this would have no bearing on AirPlay 2???)

To clarify - music stops when adding a track to the queue or "up next" on the iPhone stock music app. This happens whether streaming from Apple Music, my own collection on a NAS or other streaming service. It does not happen when using the Sonos app (but the point of AirPlay is we don't have to use that).

It occurs only when using AirPlay (to 2 Sonos Play 5s in Stereo pair).

This should be easily replicable if you follow what I state above....it happens all the time. Play a song, let the song get about a minute through, then add another song to the queue. Playback stops.

I wonder if it's a processing power issue with AirPlay and 2 Play 5s paired?
[...] I wonder if it's a processing power issue with AirPlay and 2 Play 5s paired?
No, it's a bug in iOS v11.4.1; will be fixed in v12.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
[...] I wonder if it's a processing power issue with AirPlay and 2 Play 5s paired?
No, it's a bug in iOS v11.4.1; will be fixed in v12.

Interesting, first I've heard of it. But I don't stay 100% up to date on AirPlay and Apple bugs. Do you have a link you can share?

I've been trying to reproduce the error following your steps, but can't get it to happen on my test system. A diagnostic would be great to see if anything shows up on our end. If it is an iOS bug, that's great to know, and I can pass it up the line to see if my team here has seen it. (In all honesty, I've only recently returned from vacation and still have a mountain of email it could be buried in to read.)
Interesting, first I've heard of it. But I don't stay 100% up to date on AirPlay and Apple bugs. Do you have a link you can share?
I am testing iOS 12 public beta, and the issue has been solved in the previous [12.4] beta build, I believe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am testing iOS 12 public beta, and the issue has been solved in the previous [12.4] beta build, I believe.

Thanks for the details. I'll take a look and see if I can dig that up.