Question

Airplay 2 on Play5 bought in 2017

• 3 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Will Sonos launch an update for Play5 bought in October 2017 to enable Airplay2? At beginning of October there was announcement that Sonos would adopt the Airplay2 platform. However, i'm unsure if that only applies to newly manufactured speakers from 2018 onwards.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don't think they're quite ready to commit to much regarding Airplay 2, other than the fact that they're working on it. I do recall a post by Ryan S that suggested that the latest speakers (PLAY:5 gen 2, Sonos One, and PLAYBASE) would work with Airplay 2. I'll go find that post and come back and link to it for you.
OK, here it is:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/exciting-partnerships-in-the-queue-6791309

Note: I didn't reread the whole thread, only enough to see that I was wrong to attribute some additional data to Ryan S. He only mentioned the Sonos One as an Airplay 2 speaker potential. So my assumption about extending that to the PLAY:5 gen 2 and the PLAYBASE is incorrect, at least for now.

My experience about pressing them for additional data is that it tends to be fruitless. Note that in that thread, Ryan didn't say "no other current speakers", just mentioned the Sonos One. I would imagine that's because he really doesn't know yet, as it's still under development, and doesn't want to commit the company to a statement that turns out to be incorrect. I do a much better job of being wrong than he does, he's much more circumspect, whereas I get to speculate with little repercussions.
Bruce, thank you for your reply. I’ve gone ahead and purchased it. Airplay 2 would be nice. The Sonos app does the job and Spotify premium allows me to use that app. AP2 is a bonus.
You're quite welcome. Even if you end up having to purchase a Sonos One to activate Airplay 2, I think you'll be quite happy with the PLAY:5 gen 2. While I don't have a current need for another PLAY:5, I do certainly plan on picking up a Sonos One myself, just to make sure I have the capability in my home. And frankly, to get the Alexa capability in a place where I currently don't have an Alexa device.

Now, if they could just get the Sonos One to respond to another wake word. Which they've said they're working on. I would imagine that what they're working on, or at least hope, is the word Sonos. 🙂 I've moved all of my other Echo devices off of "Alexa", since most of them can "hear" the TVs in my home, and I really don't like them responding to the various commercials that use that trigger word.