Airplay 2 on Older Devices - Not sure who to be annoyed with

• 3 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Is this a new era of Sonos post IPO where we are going to be faced with planned obsolescence to try and make share holders happy? This 10+ year customer and shareholder (who used to have more $$ in his portfolio before buying SONO) is excited to invest in Sonos, but was truly scared about how the IPO would destroy the things people loved most about Sonos.

So the question is, did Apple make Airplay 2 so f'ing complicated that we need Quantum computing to transfer audio from an iOS device or is Sonos looking to start the feature game to try and force me to upgrade the Connect: Amp in my bedroom to a new Amp?

It's cool.... I'll have my wife play her Podcast to the hallway outside my sleeping kids bedrooms, Group the zones, then go back in and mute the hallway. Any chance there can be an "Airplay2 Receiver" that can show up as a Source?

FYI - Having music playing on my Android device to ANY zone in the house still sounds FANTASTIC as things always do on my Sonos gear.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Only the later models have sufficient CPU horsepower and/or memory to handle AirPlay. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230

By targeting an AirPlay-capable unit and grouping it with other lesser devices you're doing exactly as recommended.
If Sonos wanted to drive new sales, they would not have implemented Airplay on any of their legacy models, yet the Play:5 Gen. 2 and Playbase are Airplay 2 capable. Right there the theory of forced obsolescence falls apart.