Advice on expanding home setup: Which of these options should I go for?

• 25 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi All!

I'm expanding my living room setup from one to two Sonos Play 5s and am unsure which speaker location would be optimal given the layout of my apartment and my usage. I'm looking to create a stereo pair.

I'm attaching the layout of my apartment. The yellow box is where I spend about 80% of my time at home (at the table). The green box is my TV.

In option A, both speakers are located at the corners of the room, facing diagonally towards the main room of the apartment, about 10.5 feet apart.

In option B, both speakers would be facing the couch, about 5 feet apart (probably too close?).

I'm guessing option A would be optimal in terms of filling my apartment with sound. Listening to music is my main use case and 95% of what I use my speakers for. The downside of option A is that it is probably abysmal for home theater given the positioning of the stereo speakers in relation to the couch.

My gut feeling tells me to go with option A and turn off stereo pairing for when I want to watch a movie, but perhaps there's something here I haven't thought of. Any opinions or ideas? Which seems to be the better option to you?

EDIT: I should mention that these are more-or-less my only options in terms of speaker placement due to the positioning of sockets in my home. IRL my couch is longer than in the floor plan, so I cannot place a smaller speaker (like a One) on the other side of my couch. Drilling and mounting is likely out of the question (I'm a renter),

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pairing and un-paring gets old fast.

I'd go with B. Not sure how you are going to like the audio delay you may get from using a non-TV Sonos on the TV.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Pairing and un-paring gets old fast.

I only watch television once or twice a week for about an hour at a time, which is why I didn’t invest in a home theater setup.

Not sure how you are going to like the audio delay you may get from using a non-TV Sonos on the TV.

My single Play 5 is currently in the bottom right corner, connected to the television via line-in. Haven’t noticed any significant delay so far,
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I haven't tried what you are proposing so I'm going by what I believe others here have discussed, using a single Play 5 you don't have a delay because the sound isn't passed through the Sonos networking. When you have two or more speakers then the sound goes through the network and there is a delay. (I think)

Maybe if you wired both Play 5s to the TV and set both to play from their own inputs?
Maybe just use the one you are using now and skip the networking issues due to your limited TV use?

Hopefully some of the other folks with more experience in this area will have comments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A probably give you best overall for room.

I would have put a BEAM at the TV though and the 5's opposite side. Or 5 where you have it by couch and Beam at the TV. with only one 5
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Liron

If you spend 95% of your time listening to music and 85% of your time at the table then Option A is your best choice to optimize your listening experience. However a guest seated on the couch may not be able to stand the sound coming from the Play 5 (ear burn) 😞 That said...I'd just use the built-in TV speakers for movies.

Option B would never give you a true stereo image for your primary listening position (yellow box) but it would fill the space with great sound. However, if your TV allows you could connect either one of the speakers via a line-out from TV to Line-in of a Play 5. You would have stereo from the couch for music and TV audio.

You have a decsion to make :8 Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks all for your valuable feedback! I think I might disconnect the TV from the speakers entirely for the time being and start off with option A. If I like it there, I'll keep the second speaker in the corner and get a beam for the TV. If not, I'll switch over to option B with line-in.

Appreciate everyone's input 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you go with A consider mounting them high enough that someone on the couch isn't getting a speaker right in their ear.