Answered

Adding Sonos one to playbar and two play ones set as surround

• 18 April 2019
  • 9 replies

I want to add a Sonos one, to my existing set up of a Playbar and 2 Sonos Play Ones currently set as souround sound. I understand I cannot use the new Sonos one as one of the surround speakers (unless I have 2 Sonos ones) but if I keep the existing set up as it is, can I add the Sonos one and acheive Alexa voice activation to the setup with the new Sonos one just set as an additional speaker. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by John B 18 April 2019, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Yes you can do that if you have or want another Sonos One speaker. But buying sn Echo Dot would be a cheaper route if adding voice control is the main aim.
I did consider that but prefer to add the quality of another Sonos speaker to the system. But you have answered my question perfectly thank you John B. ! 😃
I did consider that but prefer to add the quality of another Sonos speaker to the system. But you have answered my question perfectly thank you John B. ! :D

I wouldn't recommend putting a Sonos One in the same room as your existing setup. It's not really going to add much when playing music, and will be slightly out of sync when playing TV audio. Seriously, if you just want Alexa to sound a little better, than get a full size echo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I run an Echo Dot in our living room with the Playbar 5.1 setup as "prefered speaker" I have a One in the Kitchen and there's nothing between the two rooms in voice command terms.

A one would be a waste for your Playbar imho..
Thanks for all your input it has been very much appreciated and now raised issues I hadn't considered before. Melvimbe you say that adding a Sonos one would be slightly out of sync with the playbar when playing tv audio? I thought all Sonos products boasted that all speakers would be perfectly in sync. I have the playbar in one corner, the two Play ones in two other corners so would like to fill the fourth corner to balance out the sound. I also thought that I could then also take the Sonos one in the garden if I wanted which would give me a little more versatilaty. At the moment if I want to do that I have to then reconfigure them when I bring the speaker back indoors as it is set as a one of the surround speakers.
All grouped Sonos speaers sync perfectly for music. To do so the audio has to operate with a buffer. In a Sonos HT setup the lag is smaller to allow lip sync. So the only way to sync a HT setup and grouped speakers is to introduce lip sync issues.

You might try delaying the Playbar audio if you want to sync.

Introducing an extra speaker is more likely to mess up the sound than 'balance' it.
OK, so I went back to the drawing board and reconsidered after having read all the helpful replies and suggestions I had. I decided it made sense not to get another Sonos speaker merely to acheive voice activation. So have now bought an Echo Dot which I have added to my playbar and 2 sonos play one speakers.

Now I have another problem which I am sure someone will be able to help me with. I want the above speakers to play with the Dot. Alexa is operating fine with the 3 speakers but I can only get either the Dot to play or the speaker to play but not all 4 items together. Can anyone advise please? I am sure I need to set up a group on the Sonos app. which maybe I haven't done properly.

My other question is, do I need the bluetooth turned on my phone. Alexa was working without it and so were the sonos speakers when asked to play something. I had to turn on the bluetooth to pair with my phone. (although the same worked before without the bluetooth on). Not a problem, just that I know that can drain your battery and mine is not very good at the best of times.

I would be very grateful for any advice as to how I should be setting all the above to acheive all 4 items playing together and whether I need the bluetooth on, when and why. Thank you guys!:D
Unfortunately, due to the technology used to drive both systems, they can't be played "together".
You can group your Sonos speakers in the Rooms tab. Not the Dot, but I would not eant to mix its sound into Sonos.

There is a form of Bluetooth used in setting up some Sonos speakers but fundamentally BT is irrelevant on Sonos so no need to have it on.