Add Support for NTLMv2

• 23 February 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
After much testing trying to get my new Play:5 to connect to my network music library share on my Windows Server 2012 R2 server, it appears that Sonos does not support NTLMv2.

It would appear from another post on this forum at https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/sonos_with_osx_mavericks_server that OS X Mavericks now requires NTLMv2 by default for SMB share connections.

Requiring users to lower the security of their system to enable NTLMv1 connections is not really a viable solution as NTLMv1 is a very old protocol and has many security vulnerabilities and is exactly the reason why Apple have decided to move to blocking NTLMv1 connections, something Microsoft will no doubt do at some point in the future (by default as it's already possible to configure a policy to block these connections).

Sonos need to add support for NTLMv2 and cease using NTLMv1 connections. Additionally, Sonos should support the NTLMv2 Session Security and 128-bit Encryption optional suite components in NTLMv2 to maximize the security of the connections.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Completely agree with the above post. Sonos: there are postings on this subject from 2011 (http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=21394). Why no response to at least acknowledge this request?
Badge
Add support for LDAP signing as well.
NTLMv1 begins to be realy old now. Modern servers don't have NTLMv1 enabled. So I hope Sonos will add support for NTLMv2 soon.. Otherwise it's going to be more and more problems for users that are not able to enable support for NTLMv1 on their servers them self.
Userlevel 1
NTLMv1 begins to be realy old now. Modern servers don't have NTLMv1 enabled. So I hope Sonos will add support for NTLMv2 soon.. Otherwise it's going to be more and more problems for users that are not able to enable support for NTLMv1 on their servers them self.

Just had this exact issue
Userlevel 2
Same issue here.
The same problem here. Yesterday I bought a new router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800) with two USB 3.0 ports. Everything works fine except the shared USB-stick connected to the router. The stick worked fine in my old router, but although I can access the //READYSHARE/USB-Storage from all other devices, SONOS access to the share is refused by the router. It took me about half a day to find out that this probably has to do with the absence of the NTLMv2 by SONOS.
So, I would like SONOS to implement NTLMv2 soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you are truly worried about security add a NAS that just holds your Sonos music library and set it to allow SMB v1 while keeping your main NAS set more securely.

I did that after looking back at the long ignored pleas here for v2 support. My real data is safe, nothing at risk but copies of my audio files that can be replaced in 30 minutes.
I just added my old router with the usb stick to my network to be able to access my music again. But I would like to be able my new router for that.