Add more equalization options!

• 23 December 2012
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Would like to tailor sound to room and content. Current bass and treble adjustments aren't sufficient.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
I would like to have just a little more equalization control on the sound. This is absolutely necessary for the PlayBar and the too much mid frequency that has. This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Better sound equalization cntrol.
Userlevel 1
Right now there is only treble and bass for the equalizer, but I would like to see a more advance equalizer with presets such as Classical, Dance, Rock, Techno, Soft, Bass & Treble, etc... This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there going to be a more advance equalizer for the GUI either Android or PC?.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
hi a better eq is really needed for the playbar and sub to combat room modes ie the big 50hz peak.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
(When I'm not listening to music ...) I listen to a lot of voice content now on my superb "distributed audio" Sonos system. For multi-person conversations the overall volume needs to be louder - but to avoid annoying my neighbours I need to cut more of the bass than I'm able to do with the existing, painfully limited "equalisation" settings. Please enhance our equalisation controls!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled eq switching settings?. will the app be updated to include auto switch for eq settings, as i listen to a great deal of various genres of music from metal to country to rock to reggae and dance and for listening to movies as well i would love not having to faff around with the eq settings every time i listen to a different genre or watch a film.
Hello Andy, I merged your topic into this existing Idea thread on improved EQ options, which is currently Under Consideration.
New EQ options (inc. manual 5 or 7 band control) have to be necessarily improved in soonest update. Finally, Sonos is describing itself as a HIFI even its wireless.
I agree. I've paid over $600 for a system that tends to sound muddy. A much improved EQ system will be most appreciated.
Please add an equalizer function comparable to what iTunes has. The value of Sonos drops substantially without it. I am pretty disappointed. It seems so obvious that the feature should be there. I didn't even think to check before purchasing.
Userlevel 1
Please add an equalizer functionallity to the Sonos system so we are able to personalise our sound. This would improve the quality of this expensive system!!
These threads should also fit here:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/expand_eq_capabilities
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/better_eq_for_room_setting_would_be_great
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/proposed_eq_enhancements
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/eq_settings_per_input
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/quacker_eq
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/equalizer-o2k7a

Seems it's a difficult task since there has been many updates of the controller from when this was asked for.
We got the highjacked Mute-button. We got adding a lot of MP3-quality streaming services. We got a complete altered userinterface, and so on.

Please, make this feature as quick as possible.
Userlevel 1
Please do this, should be quite simple to do?
Userlevel 1
This should really be implemented!
Please can we have a high quality equaliser. You simply cannot compensate for room acoustics with the current outdated bass and treble controls. Come on Sonosthisshidhavebeen done years ago. You are losing ground to your we competitors in this space.
Some internet radio channels give out a really bass heavy sound and a more useable equaliser setting would really improve the listening experience. It's naieve of sonos to think that the equaliser can be optimal for such a variety of services and giving such functionality to the next update would bring new life to the listening of many users. Users who may feel their units are getting a bit tired and need replacing with perhaps one of the competing systems on the market!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yep, We could really use a nice 10 band EQ where each band adjustable by the user,  not something with manual presets,   I see some people talking about a EQ with presets,  I have never once used a preset EQ on anything that sounded the way i wanted it to,  most presets sound flat out horroble.     but being able to manually adjust each band is the way to go.      adding a 10 band EQ would really improve this product.

I own a sonos connect and i really like it,  its hooked to my home setero,  my EQ just died,  my music sounded much better when i had a working EQ,  its hard to find a good home stereo EQ these days so adding one to the sonos products would be great,    most audio streaming products / music players have a EQ these days but sonos does not.
Yes, please implement a proper EQ (5-7 bands should be sufficient).

AND please make it (together with L/R balance) accessible from the controllers current-playing-screen right next to the volume control !!!

I need the EQ quite often and to have it on a "short cut" rather than deep down in some setting menus (actually multiple different menus if you happen to have a SUB paired to your Play's) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Wolfgang
Please add this simple functionality.  Between this and the limited control over our playlists have me begging for your successor, Sonos.
Hi, sorry for my poor english language! when will Sonos add a decent equalizer on its app for play5? If so many people ask for it, there may be a reason.
Please add Equalisers or at least give some tentative dates. When I listen music with Line In using some app which support decent equalisers like PowerAmp I see remarkable difference. This new feature will take SONOS to different level. I own 2 play1, 1 play5 and Sub. I am proud owner of these devices. I definitely want SONOS to consider this and come up with a plan. cheers
I own a Play5, and wanted to buy two play3 and a pair of Play1 for my new home.But I'm still asking to myself: "why should I pay so much for THAT sound"? Everybody says that WiFi is better than Bluetooth. I do not suscribe to this point of view anymore. Just because of this poor equalizer.
With the new 5.4 update we, how use the CR200/CONTROLLER, get the finger from Sonos. An enhanced equalizer is a must for a HiFi-system and Sonos is taking away the only possible setting of EQ that exist today. With the usual exitement from Sonos with every update they cripple the dedicated controllers, first the CR100 and now the CR200. If Sonos took cusomer care seriously, there should be a posibillity to keep the functions on the components as they were bought. I´m also thinking of the mute-button that was altered and got confusing behaviour. Give us at least an option to revert to the firmware that was usable according to the equipment we use. If anyone then decides to upgrade because of new versions give other functons that have higher user-value than those that disappers, then that is up to every single individual.
Agree. I am done with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Lennart,

You can still set or adjust the equalization settings using any of our free Android, iOS, Mac or Windows PC software controllers. Unfortunately the CR200/CONTROL has reached the point where it simply can't keep up with current and future changes to the system. Some of the settings which usually are "set and forget" had to be limited from the CONTROL so that it could continue to function as a day-to-day controller.

We know this can be frustrating if you're one to use those settings regularly, but we had to make some tough decisions to be sure the CONTROL still had a place in your home.

It's important to keep the system updating and to improve it as we continue moving forward. Updates often include new features and solutions to issues that might have come up. For example, Sonos version 5.4 included a fix for iTunes playlists being unreadable after the 12.2 iTunes update, along with enhancements to Google Play Music and TuneIn radio. Currently we're in beta test for Spotify new features as well.

We understand different people will have more or less interest in changes and features depending on their use, but keeping systems up to date is always a best practice.

We're interested in what you'd like to see for the future, a big reason we have these Idea threads. We don't publish a road map for development, but the team responsible reads your feedback and considers that when they're looking to design the future. While we don't always hit the mark, we constantly push to make improvements where we didn't and try to do better than before, every time.

This post got a bit carried away and off topic from the main thread, my apologies everyone. Thanks for reading it anyway.
Userlevel 1
Sorry but the Bass and Treble adjustments available in the Android, iOS, Mac or Windows PC software controllers cannot be considered as proper equalization settings. As stated many times in this thread please provide proper equalisation options. Start listening to your customers or risk losing them. 
I take issue with the statement "It's important to keep the system updating and to improve it as we continue moving forward." Important to whom? There are plenty of people happy with the multi-room music system they originally bought before there was any such thing as app based controllers or streaming service integration. Many would have liked to just stay at an earlier version of firmware but that is not possible because any replacement of failed equipment or expansion of the system forces an upgrade.

I also don't agree with the current definition of moving forward. When I bought my system the updates were described as adding new features to what we already had, not trading away existing functionality to satisfy niche requests. I was expecting more options to manage my local library, the ability to set up persistent groups, the ability to permanently associate a controller to start up on a specific zone or hide certain zones from certain controllers to prevent accidently blasting music in a sensitive area. Any of these would fit the definition of moving forward.

Instead what we get are trade-offs that do not address any of these long standing requests. We get diminished support for the important aspects of the system, like a hard button controller, a waterproof controller, a dedicated "instant on" controller, a controller that talks directly to the nearest player via Sonosnet instead of relying on a whole separate wireless network, a mute button that remembers the original level and resumes it on unmute, a mute button that stays muted when the group volume is changed, a mute button that doesn't kill the whole party when you want to mute one room to answer the phone, and so on.

And what are we giving these things up for? More integration with paid streaming services (who cares?) Constant modifications to accommodate problems with iTunes, problems with iOS, Apple feature changes, and on and on (try to remember you are an independent company and not a division of Apple). We get destabilizing options to bypass core design features like Sonosnet and a controller app so complicated that nobody over 60 can make heads or tails of it assuming they have the physical dexterity to master the intricate moves needed to navigate the miles deep labyrinth of menus. (No Thanks!)

Sonos is definitely moving but there is little to indicate that the direction it is headed is forward.