Add a headphone line-out jack to the PLAY:1

• 3 December 2013
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
We've received a feature request for a headphone line-out jack to be added to the PLAY:1, similar to the PLAY:5. This would allow headphones (or other devices connected via 3.5mm mini stereo) to output the Sonos audio from a PLAY:1.

What do you think?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

A line out would be nice....I would prefer to use a Play one over a CONNECT as it would be cheaper. This is probably the reason Sonos would never add one. You could use it to replace all CONNECT's unless you use the input on the CONNECT. Yes, please add one. Make it either an input/output device that is selectable.
I will buy more if Headphone out and AUX in.
Sonos has to work on more diversity in their product line. Add the line-in to ALL speakers, come up with 3 or 4 different PlayBars (1, 3 and 5 may be nice model names, you can use them, you're welcome) and stop focussing on connecting "streaming" to existing audiosystems. Focus on connecting existing audiosystems/tv's to the Sonos system instead! And no, not just by offering the too expensive "Connect" solutions.
You seem to have missed the point. Sonos is not primarily a wireless speaker system, to be slaved to existing source equipment (though Line-In does allow such legacy sources to be connected), it's a network playback system. And, yes, that means a focus on "streaming". Indeed that emphasis was re-iterated early this year when Sonos announced a strategy realignment. The majority of Sonos customers now source their music from online services.

CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP are there to bring "streaming" to existing audio kit. In comparison to many users' downstream equipment they're relatively inexpensive. In fact some so-called 'audiophiles' rather shun the CONNECT, on the basis that it can't be any good at such a "cheap" price.

PLAYBAR fits into the scheme of things by offering "streaming" plus an enhancement over mediocre TV sound quality, with a basic home theatre experience that's good enough for many.
I would be surprised if SONOS implemented this- adding a headphone jack would undercut their sonos connect products. Users could simply connect the play1 to their existing home system by connecting to the headphone jack, at about £179, this is almost half price of SONOS connect.
Well maybe that just shows that the Connect and Connect:Amp are way overpriced for what most people want to use them for. Same goes for the PlayBar.

Sonos has to work on more diversity in their product line. Add the line-in to ALL speakers, come up with 3 or 4 different PlayBars (1, 3 and 5 may be nice model names, you can use them, you're welcome) and stop focussing on connecting "streaming" to existing audiosystems. Focus on connecting existing audiosystems/tv's to the Sonos system instead! And no, not just by offering the too expensive "Connect" solutions.
Seems it is 3 years since Edward first asked for a jack on the play one, yet I want it for the very exact same reason, to listen to music in bed without disturbing my wife. I have a Play Five but it is too big for a bedside table
it definitely very limiting that the sonos play 1s dont have aux inputs; there are always cases when you just want to plug in a random mobile device or laptop and play something without installing the software. it also makes the product a lot less portable; while it is designed for home audio, there should be no reason why you can't just take a play1 on the go, plug it into a wall and play music directly from your device. while you buy sonos for the software, the tight coupling make the hardware a lot less flexible; it should have standard inputs.
Badge +1
It will allow a lower cost option to the Play:5 or Connect for situations where speaker output is not really required, but may be required occasionally.

If the Play:1 had a headphone jack, I would definitely buy another one to use in the cubicle at work. Such a configuration would allow me to use the Sonos Controller ecosystem to listen to music at work with headphones.

Now if there was only a way to share my Sonos Playlists across disparate SonosNet's.
I'd love to see a Play:1 with a headphone jack. I'm amazed that such a simple thing wasn't in the original design.
Another vote for a headphone jack. I would probably buy an entire extra Play:1 for it. Sonos compatible headphones would work too.
The reason that I am looking for this is so I can sit in bed with headphones on when my wife falls asleep in bed halfway through a movie.  Currently, if I want to continue watching, I have to go downstairs or stay in bed with the volume right down.  First World problems don't get better than this ;)

I have a Sonos Playbar under the TV in the bedroom with two play:1s at the rear paired with the play bar.  If the play:1s had headphone sockets, I would assume it would only send that channel to the headphones - no good in a surround setup.  

One solution would be to setup a Sonos Connect player with a headphone amp such as the Pro-ject Head Box http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=headbox .  I could then pair up the connect to the Playbar, turn the Playbar volume down and listen in stereo through the headphones.  But that's an expensive solution - about £400 in the UK.  And a potentially scruffy installation.

What I really want is a Sonos independent headphone player that can be paired in or out of the system as required. Smaller than the Connect, about 2/3 of the price and just a power cable.  I want to use my own headphones, so just need a socket.

Line-in, bluetooth, airplay and USB inputs would be a nice bonus.
It whould be awesome if Sonos makes a wireless headphone which is connected to the sonos network! No need for a 3.5mm jack anymore 🙂 Here is a hint for the name: Sonos Play:Private (excellent when you collaborate with a headphone manufacturer, e.g. Sennheiser, Beats, ...)
That's a great idea. I'd buy it.
It whould be awesome if Sonos makes a wireless headphone which is connected to the sonos network! No need for a 3.5mm jack anymore 🙂 Here is a hint for the name: Sonos Play:Private (excellent when you collaborate with a headphone manufacturer, e.g. Sennheiser, Beats, ...)
SONOS 5 is sold at a higher price than SONOS connect- therefore there is no possibility of taking sales away from another product. It wouldn't surprise me at-all if headphone sockets were introduced for models priced for around £300 and above- SONOS would not become its own competitor if they decided to do this. It's a bit of an odd one, I know! However SONOS is a closed system, you will find that some consumers will buy SONOS simply to benefit from the simple to use software ecosystem. From what I understand, the "play" series was a clever solution to allow SONOS to introduce more affordable products into the market, without devaluing their existing "connect" series.
Heck, come to think of it, I'd just be happy if my tablet or phone would push audio out the jack at the same time from the Sonos app. A lot of problems could be easily solved without that jack shutting down and since it's not bluetooth, there's no reason for that jack to shut down. 
SONOS 5 is sold at a higher price than SONOS connect- therefore there is no possibility of taking sales away from another product. It wouldn't surprise me at-all if headphone sockets were introduced for models priced for around £300 and above- SONOS would not become its own competitor if they decided to do this. It's a bit of an odd one, I know! However SONOS is a closed system, you will find that some consumers will buy SONOS simply to benefit from the simple to use software ecosystem. From what I understand, the "play" series was a clever solution to allow SONOS to introduce more affordable products into the market, without devaluing their existing "connect" series.
Actually, what I would like to see, since they won't make a small portable unit, is a bluetooth broadcast capability to push out to existing portable units. I have several of those - a Sharkk, and an Oontz for the kids, and a Bose for my girlfriend. If that were possible, I would be all-in with this system. Especially if I could have a pair of Play 1s and each could push out to a portable speaker separately. Sure, I could see someone buying a larger bluetooth speaker instead of an additional Sonos in this case but really - bluetooth sound quality drops quickly on larger speakers because of the limitations of bluetooth. Meanwhile,by doing this, they wouldn't be able to use their portable speaker which I'm sure most music people have at least one of.  
I bought the Sonos Play 5 as our main music system, knowing as my kids grow older they would want their own personal systems.  My plan was to get them Play 1 devices for their bedrooms and give them wireless headphones, so they don't bother the rest of us. 

The lack of the headphone jack is a deal breaker for me so would certainly like to see it introduced before they get on my case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well I guess for the headphone out that wouldn't be so bad .... But still they tried to keep costs on minimized.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why ...because analog/digital conversion and processing adds cost and the speaker was designed for a specific price point.
+1   Yes please.   why wouldn't you have this?
No one here disagrees that all the Sonos kit is pretty good but all designs need a little tweaking now and then, 1 to keep the brand moving forward and 2 to give current owners something to look forward to. Lets face it if Sonos never changes the existing designs and I have units in every room, (almost there), then I have no reason to buy more equipment from them. OK they could survive on new customers but as any marketeer will tell you, you can't beat up-selling to your existing users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play:1 is a fairly recent design.  I do not forsee a new version would be coming soon.
Adding that level of flexibility would only help 🙂
Badge +1
Yes, definitely need a headphone socket on the Play 1. It is an ideal child's bedroom speaker, but I shan't buy one for my daughter until it has a headphone socket. 
Userlevel 1
....which would be much more in line with the Sonos line of products and their general strategy, I would say.
Come on Sonos give something to your customers. As with everyone above I feel that all your devices should have a headphone jack and line in, but not only that; come on guys where is the ongoing development. It seems that all efforts for the last couple of years have been focused on the controller software and while this is appreciated, where are the new products, you no longer have the market to yourselves, with the likes of Bose and Apple joining the fray if you don't start to innovate your customers will start leaving in droves.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
A small line out device (much like Airport Express) would also be great. Connect is a bit too expensive to buy just as a line out source.