Answered

A Sonos Newbie, Two Play 3's or One Play 5?

Hi, My Harmon Kardon speakers which I use in my study attached to my iMac went pop this week. So I was thinking of starting a move to Sonos, starting with my study and moving to the rest of the house when I can afford it.

If you were choosing, would you go for Two Play 3's for true stereo or One Play 5? At the moment its for playing from iTunes as I don't bother with streaming as yet. Your help is appreciated, it might save me spending even more hours reading reviews.

Mark
icon

Best answer by Belly M 25 July 2016, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a pair of Play 3s that sit behind my computer that I have paired as a stereo pair. I have to say I am very happy with them. I also have a Playbar, Sub and pair of Play 1s as surrounds. They are rather excellent for music playback as well as for Video surround sound. I haven't heard a Play 5 of either generation.

The feedback on here of the Play 5s is that they are excellent.

In your case if you suspect you will expand and believe me they will! then I might suggest a pair of Play 1s as a stereo pair - you can always move these elsewhere later on if you find you want more in your study but I think you'd be pleasantly impressed with Play 1s

Let's see what others think!
@Stuart - I too have a 4 zone Sonos system across the home, but the best sound quality I get is from a play 1 pair on a rather neat looking pair of Flexson stands flanking my Mac on my desk top. That is because the room acoustics don't get a change to muck up the excellent sound the 1 units put out and the consequent sound stage with music seeming to float forward from behind the computer.

A big HOWEVER: Since I have the usual common support infrastructure for music via Sonos in place, I don't need to play my computer through the 1 pair and as you know, I could not do that if I wanted to in the absence of a line in jack on them - which only the 5 units have. For the OP therefore, as a drop in replacement, only a 5 unit/s will work, but could be awkward to place.

For him, a quick fix would be to get another pair of computer speakers, not Sonos. Don't spend too much on these, and once Sonos is installed in future, see how to extend it to the desktop, if necessary.
Badge +20
If you are wanting to play music / audio from your Mac then Sonos is not really the way to go, as Kumar said the Play 5 will work as its the device with a line line in. But for multiroom Sonos is great, an alternative is Bluesound as all the new devices have a line in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I rather assumed the OP had done their homework to the extent that Sonos speakers are NOT PC/Mac speakers. Rather dangerous I know..........................!
Sorry, I'm going to ask some daft questions, what is OP guys?

I'm getting confused (after doing my homework;-) elsewhere on the forum it suggests you can play your catalogue direct from my iMac, no system sounds but that's hardly an issue. I also didn't explain myself too well if this is not possible. I could use 2 x Play 3's playing from my iPhone? or 1 x Play 5 from iPhone or iMac line in, if this is the only option but the info is a bit contradictory elsewhere.

The idea of using Sonos in the study to play music from iMac or iPhone, is to expand it into other rooms in the near future, playing the same track. (I'm sure I will get used the the weird idea of putting my CD's on my iMac to then put them on my iPhone to play them, I know buying CD's is old school but I like to own my Music and have a good quality hard copy, its a bit like buying a car or leasing it, I just can't do the lease thing)

I was also presuming Trueplay would help with placement, as it's only app based, will it only sound better if your playing from the iPhone or once set up will it remain suitable if you switch to line in?

I've had a listen to the three speakers, and whilst it was in a noisy John Lewis, I still felt the 1's forced bass hid the mid range, but I appreciate it might be a different beast in the right environment.

To satisfy my curiosity, purely on music quality, 2x 3's or 1x 5? Will the difference between a line in and wifi have much influence on the quality?
Badge +20
OP = Opening Post

Making it simple it sound like Sonos is what you are after.

Rip your CD's in iTunes on your iMaci, then the directory on your iMac is shared which Sonos can then pickup. Music can then be played from your iMac to any Sonos player.

If you have music on any iPhone / iPad that is not on your Mac then you can play this as well to any Sonos speaker.

Go either for 2 x Play 1's or a Play 5, in a larger room 2 x Play 5 will be better.
OP is "original post" (or "original poster").

You can play your music library which is housed on a PC/Mac or NAS drive. Here's a link describing how to do it:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261/kw/add%20my%20music%20to%20sonos
OP is "original post" (or "original poster").

You can play your music library which is housed on a PC/Mac or NAS drive. Here's a link describing how to do it:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261/kw/add%20my%20music%20to%20sonos

Thanks Jgatie, one confused Newbie feeling a little less Sonosed.
OP = Opening Post

Making it simple it sound like Sonos is what you are after.

Rip your CD's in iTunes on your iMaci, then the directory on your iMac is shared which Sonos can then pickup. Music can then be played from your iMac to any Sonos player.

If you have music on any iPhone / iPad that is not on your Mac then you can play this as well to any Sonos speaker.

Go either for 2 x Play 1's or a Play 5, in a larger room 2 x Play 5 will be better.

Fab, thanks for the help, I might just have to get the two 1's and a 5, keep the best for my study and put the others in the kitchen 😉
Badge +20
Not sure where you are but if you buy from Sonos directly (or a certain UK dealer) you have a 30 day trial 🙂
Not sure where you are but if you buy from Sonos directly (or a certain UK dealer) you have a 30 day trial :)

Great idea!