Answered

a single Sonos 5 audio difference when placed vertical vs. horizontal

• 18 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi, I bought a single Sonos 5.  I read somewhere that when placed horizontally, it automatically detects and adjusts the way the speakers project the stereo mix -- something like there will be a wider stereo spread.  Is this true, does the speaker “know” it’s horizontal?  Or is it just a wider “spread” because the drivers and now aligned horizontally?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 18 June 2020, 22:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It has a sensor inside that knows the position and routes the sound accordingly (Vertical is mono, horizontal is stereo).  

Thank you so much.  Tell me what you would recommend:  In my living room I have a Sonos 5 on one side.  On the other side, a paired set of Sonos Ones, in stereo.  Would you recommend keeping the Sonos 5 mono, or turning it horizontally to stereo.  Does it matter?

Userlevel 7

I’d turn it horizontal (JMO). However, know that after a few feet (meters) away the stereo effect will dissipate and sound as mono.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You only get stereo when you have a pair.

You get a wider soundstage when you have one sonos five horizontal.

So if you have one five, place it horizontal or if you have a pair go vertical for stereo & better sound