A quick note in praise of Sonos

• 9 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Let me start by saying I'm old enough to remember a time before internet, CDs, cassette tapes, or even the MOSFET transistor. In other words, I'm a dinosaur who cut his teeth in vinyl. So I remember a simpler age when the product that came out of the box was all you got. No software issues. Few compatibility issues to complain about. Generally, an AC plug and some RCA and speaker cables were all that was involved. I'm also fortunate enough to have collected some very good hifi equipment over the years including high end stuff from B&W, Krell and McIntosh. Sadly, that equipment sits largely idle today because over the years the pace of my life has become too hectic. I'm just not where my music is often enough to truly enjoy it. So, after overcoming my visceral resistance to streaming music systems, I bought some Sonos equipment over the weekend to create a streaming home network. After a weekend of trial and error, learning how to use a wifi analyzer, reading up on dedicated channels, suffering through router incompatibility issues, and finally some truly excellent tech support from James in Sonos customer support this morning, I got four rooms running properly on Sonosnet -- no small feat in my high-rise building packed with competing wifi systems. So, how good is Sonos? Well, I am gobsmacked. Play:5s are not studio monitors, but paired for stereo, they are quite good. And the pure joy they deliver wherever I am, as I walk from room to room, along with the ease of use of the Sonos user interface more than makes up for the loss in high fidelity. And I now have a virtually unlimited collection of music at my finger tip for a few dollars a month. As a younger man building a record collection, this was simply unimaginable.

No sound system is ever perfect. But Sonos is damn good - a generation ago, unimaginably good. Thank you Sonos. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

And I now have a virtually unlimited collection of music at my finger tip for a few dollars a month. As a younger man building a record collection, this was simply unimaginable.

No sound system is ever perfect. But Sonos is damn good - a generation ago, unimaginably good. Thank you Sonos. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

I agree. For those of us that have grown up before the internet and all its off-shoots, all that Sonos does is akin to magic.

I remember having the money to buy just one LP a month. Now, I have grown familiar with an entire new genre of music for free in just a few months, leveraging the investment in Sonos made in 2011-14 and the monthly subscription to a streaming service. Home audio never had it so good.

This background/context does make it amusing to listen to all the grumbling about inconvenient apps/UI...
Badge
I have to agree, I stumbled across this forum just looking for sonos hints and tips. I have had my sonos system for around 3 years and NEVER had an issue, it surprises me what crops up on here, maybe I am just lucky or less than a technophobe than I thought. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey, Invinoveritasty. The very nature of our support platforms (and even the community, to an extent), is that people rarely jump on to sing our praises. It's always really nice to see! Keep on enjoying your music and let us know if there's anything you need.
Same here. I’m listening to more music than I have in years. I didn’t fully understand what a game changer, quality music streamed to any room, easily would make to me.
Amen!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
if I just had more money...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It is easy when browsing this forum to think Sonos has issues. Well it does but mostly due to today's crowded Wi Fi space. However a bit of work sorting these properly is rewarded with a stable multi room system that is a joy to use and means I listen to as much music now as i did over 30 years ago in my youth.

Great to see someone as happy as i am. Nothing is ever perfect, but for me Sonos is less imperfect than a lot of modern day "solutions".
Great post. I was similarly impressed around six years ago and things have improved since then, especially the sound quality that came with the Play:5 gen 2. I have retained my fairly high end hifi gear, which I use with a Sonos Connect.